Thread: Has anybody heard of Charles Riggs & Co Ltd?

Has anybody heard of Charles Riggs & Co Ltd?

As title. I have picked up a 1924 BSA Light pattern, which is stamped with the above Gunmaker(?)'s address of 107 Bishopsgate, London E3. All I have been able to find out so far is Reilly's (of air cane fame) business was incorporated into Charles Rigg & Co in 1917 and ceased trading around 1966. Apparently the site is now occupied by a Boots outlet!

If anybody has access to Geoffrey Boothroyd's Directory of Gunmakers, I'd be grateful for any information you can share.

Many thanks in anticipation,

John

Riggs?

Hi Josie & John,
    All I could find out was this:- Charles Riggs & company. The marks of this gunmaking business, trading from 107 Bishopgate, London E.C.,have been reported on 12 bore shotgun cartridges made by Eley Bros, prior to 1914 and sold as The Bishop among other names. The address was often rendered as 'Ye Bishop`s Gate`, which has also been listed as a tradename.
    ATB
    Bazwong.
    Just too many guns! NO, I was only kidding!

Hi,

Charles Riggs were a sporting outfitters, that sold, "Everything for Sport and the Sportsman" as well as motors and motorcycles. They were main dealers for everything Bsa and had a large stand at Bisley. I have a period catalogue with pictures of the shop front with all the Bsa advertising, the gun department, works and offices and even the managing director.

Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Hi Bazwong and Silva,

Many thanks for the replies. It is much appreciated. Would it be too cheeky to ask for scanned copies of the catalogue on my part?

Kind regards,
    John

Hi John,

I'll gladly scan the pics for you, the only thing is you will have to bear with me while I learn to use the scanner, so it will take a little time.

Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by airgunbob View Post
    When I left school back in the late 50s, I got a job in Bishopsgate & often used to have a look in Charlie Riggs's shop in my lunch hour. As I remember it, the place was really a sports shop although they did have some BSA Air rifles. Don't remember seeing any motor bikes though. The best shop in the area was Ogden Smiths of the Royal Exchange. They sold all sorts of guns. They had Airguns,Shotguns,Rifles,Pistols, the lot. They even had Webley revolvers on display in the window!! If Jackie Smith had been Home secretary back those days she would have wet her knickers !!
    ........Thanks mate......I am here at 7 with a cuppa, relaxing before going in to work, I was enjoying this interesting thread until the last sentence...now I have this horrendous image in my head of that old shunter

Many thanks for the copy of the catalogue, Silva. It arrived safely today.

And a huge thank you to all who contributed to this thread, even if the thought of Jackie Smith made Eddie choke on his tea!

Seriously though, I started out with snippets of information and now have much more than I thought this thread would generate including first hand accounts.

That's what makes this section of the BBS so interesting. There are some really knowledgable people out there, who are willing to share their knowledge and this anorak for one is very grateful.

Kind regards,
    John

I thought I would resurrect this thread as I am compiling a list of surviving air rifles or indeed any other products that were marked with Charles Riggs & Co's company details.

Does anyone have details of any such air rifles or do you have any personal recollection or reference of/to this company?

With kind regards,
    John

I have a Diana Rigg magazine around here somewhere... might not be in the best of conditions though

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I have a Diana Rigg magazine around here somewhere... might not be in the best of conditions though
    Trust you Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    You can scan that one for me please Peter....as long as she is in the tight leather "Avengers" outfit...or less!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro-Express View Post
    You can scan that one for me please Peter....as long as she is in the tight leather "Avengers" outfit...or less!
    Its not a sight for old toolmakers... Now go and scrape that surface plate