Thread: Paratrooper info please

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Paratrooper info please

I should be getting one of these off here this week (if postie gets a move on) and wondered if anybody could tell me if there is anything to watch out for on them? Anything difficult to strip/anything that is a weak point or spares hard to get hold of? This will be another plinker afraid as I cant justify the money as I just like to get them up and plinking and not in a condition where scared to use them. After this I dont know what to look at next.

paratrooper repeater

The paratooper arrived today and its a repeater with the magazine and sights missing. I believe chambers does the magazine (or is it just the tube?) for £17 ish-- but cant justify that on a rough gun. Ive stripped it down this morning and will have a go at it later on but Ive a couple of questions. As this has the bracket/plate and plunger for the repeater, was the normal paratrooper barrel/breech block different? Can you remove this set up or would you nned a blanking piece/different breech washer set up. The breech washer is the same on Chambers parts list so was the cylinder a bit different. If anyone has a magazine going cheap I may fit one. I need to get hold of or try to make up a barrel pivot pin and nut, Which I think is just round bar with a thread and a slot in the head like the little Diana,s.
    First impressions of the gun? I dont think its my sort of thing. I dont like all the rivets and I assume there is not much you can do if the trigger plays up? This could be the nephews (slightly battered) Christmas present. I cant see me falling for this but you never know once you,ve done them. Thanks for any help.

Cool working and growing on me

Ive got it working now. Before I stripped it I tried a few shots and it wouldnt push the pellet out of the barrel. It made a funny noise and I thought maybe it had a plastic piston head that had spread. It hasnt--just a plastic buffer and a leather washer. It looked like there was some gunge in the transfer port and I poked it a bit. When the gun was stripped I poked it more and a bit of matchstick came out. Im wondering if someone glued this in and gave the gun to a kid to play with? Gun was stripped and cleaned and given a quick bluing (turned out better than it should with hardly any preparation.)Piston washer in good nick but gun had 2 mainsprings in. I went to my bag of old springs and found one that would do and cut it to length--easy enough to put in with just a bit of preload to keep pressure against the cylinder pin. Ive been told by Red Bob that the triggers go on these so didnt want a load of pressure on the trigger either. Usual gn paste,sm50 and Lt2 to put together. I found a bit of alloy round bar and drilled and tapped it to 6mm (bloody hard without a vice or right size drill) for the locking nut for the barrel pivot bolt. I cut down a 3mm screw for the locking screw for the end of the cylinder and fitted a smk 4x20 scope. Tried about 20 shots and its growing on me. Another one bites the dust. I wont bother with the magazine. Im glad I got this rather than a "proper" one. Crappily made but I can see the attraction.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    . Im glad I got this rather than a "proper" one. Crappily made but I can see the attraction.
    Even more fun WITH the in line mag.....trust me!

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Paratrooper grip wanted etc--fairground gun

I thought Id try here rather than a new thread. Im after a left front panel (pistol grip bit) for a paratrooper. Its a later dark coloured one but its not really important.
    I went to the local shop today for a few bits and asked about a set of sights. He whipped out a paratrooper with 3ft of chain attached to the frame by a big pop rivet and gave me a good price. I didnt want another one but it was cheap enough and different to the one I got on Tuesday. I tried a few shots and then it stated to go off on closing the barrel. I took it apart to have a look at the sear. This has a different trigger set up to the other one and the trigger block slides into the cylinder like later gamo,s and meteors. It also has a plastic safety catch,a barrel pivot pin that screws into the jaws and a plastic piston washer set up that may be rivetted? Anyhow,gun stripped,bugger without a spring compressor and used various bits of rod and tube to do it. Cleaned it and lubed it and put in the two small springs I took out of the other. The power was well down so I stripped it again and refitted the spring it came with (looked like a cut down meteor) and took two more coils off it,wanting to give the trigger an easier time. Back together again and seems ok. Pretty accurate and quite punchy but not as harsh with those two coils off. I must not get another one. Anyone got the panel then? I assume the chain ment it came off a fairground at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I thought Id try here rather than a new thread. Im after a left front panel (pistol grip bit) for a paratrooper. Its a later dark coloured one but its not really important.
    I went to the local shop today for a few bits and asked about a set of sights. He whipped out a paratrooper with 3ft of chain attached to the frame by a big pop rivet and gave me a good price. I didnt want another one but it was cheap enough and different to the one I got on Tuesday. I tried a few shots and then it stated to go off on closing the barrel. I took it apart to have a look at the sear. This has a different trigger set up to the other one and the trigger block slides into the cylinder like later gamo,s and meteors. It also has a plastic safety catch,a barrel pivot pin that screws into the jaws and a plastic piston washer set up that may be rivetted? Anyhow,gun stripped,bugger without a spring compressor and used various bits of rod and tube to do it. Cleaned it and lubed it and put in the two small springs I took out of the other. The power was well down so I stripped it again and refitted the spring it came with (looked like a cut down meteor) and took two more coils off it,wanting to give the trigger an easier time. Back together again and seems ok. Pretty accurate and quite punchy but not as harsh with those two coils off. I must not get another one. Anyone got the panel then? I assume the chain ment it came off a fairground at some point?
    well

i knew that i had one of the panels (but i thought i had a pair) anyhow, i've been in the garage (it's sorta like going down the trapdoor with berk) and found one, the wrong side though

>>paratrooper part<<<

oh well

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Paratrooper grip wanted

Thanks to Johnbaz for sending me the rightsided grip he found in his shed. Im still looking for the left sided one as its nagging at me. thanks

I have a pistol grip for the para trooper but is cast all in one brown plastic
    ie left and right are all one piece
    if of use to you pm me with your addy and you can have it for free

Ray

Sorry to dissapoint but the one I have is fir mk1 you need mk2

Ray

Go on then....ggggr....i've got one for you.

I know you work on a tight budget & you do try very hard with your "stripdown" guides....its yours free....give me your addy via PM.

Thanks for addy.....posting Mon.ATB,Chris.

Sorted-- big thank you

Postie arrived today with a smallish parcel (but bigger than anything I was expecting). I opened it and HWVIXEN had sent me the paratrooper grip I was after and a selection of goodies that will help fetch some rough plinkers back to life in the future. There were some good straight mainsprings,piston washers,buffers, the dimpled washers the screws tighten on and a nearly new tub of Gn paste!!! I dont know if I will find a use for the parashute washers in the near future but Im sure everything else will be put to good use over the next year/years.

Big "THANK YOU" to that man
    Also a big "THANK YOU" to BIGRAY---the grips and information arrived today. Information confused me. Postie didnt catch me yesterday but very kindly didnt force the packet through the letterbox and brought it out today.
    Last edited by ggggr; 01-07-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: update

Batfink (daughter) seems to have 2 repeaters that she may want to sell to make room for other 'collectables'. I chrono'd them yesterday and they run about 500 - 550 fps with Hobby pellets. Interestingly I detected a tendency for a slightly higher velocity when the pellets were seated singly by hand rather than when using the auto-load.
    We have a non auto version, and I can confirm that it is just like any other break barrel ... non of the auto feature is present.
    Superb little rifles that Batfink and her brother were weaned on many years ago.
    Cheers, Phil

Paratrooper mk? confused

After reading the info that Bigray sent me today, Im more confused. Ive got two paratroopers now with long grips on---MK2 ,but the one I believe to be later has a different trigger set up. Its a bit like the Gamo set up as fitted to the meteor--ie its a unit that clips in the cylinder rather than being in the frame. This trigger has a plastic safety catch that pushes through a very small hole in the trigger. This gun doesnt have the little locking screw for the large screw at the rear of the cylinder. Anybody know anything about these? If anyone has a copy of the test from AGW August 79 that might help. When did they stop making paratroopers then?

You are welcome ggggr.....keep up the good work....I can see you might put some of the magazine writers out of a job....