Thread: HW 35 e This can not be right

HW 35 e This can not be right

I was telling a mate that I had another 35e to "up the power" I had tuned his old 35e a few years ago, but only got 9ftlb out of it, he said," its doing nearly 12ftlb now" turns out he bought short barrel with fitted silencer, and this put the power up, he did not touch the insides of the gun, NOW I can understand a shorter barrel on a spring gun may up the power a bit but OVER 2 FTLB

this can not be right,,,,, can it?

Sounds odd for a HW35 to hit that power level comfortably with any size barel?

I suppose if the old barel was long and causing drag then a shorter barel could increase vel., but as you said mate thats a hell of an increase

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_B View Post
    Sounds odd for a HW35 to hit that power level comfortably with any size barel?

I suppose if the old barel was long and causing drag then a shorter barel could increase vel., but as you said mate thats a hell of an increase
    the old barrel of his 35e was 22" the carbine he fitted was 13" like you say "a hell of an increase" er,,, I wonder if he will lend me the barrel as I have an old 35e.22(22" barrel) that does not seem to want to go over 9.3ftlb

how long after you tuned it did you chrono it because the power will increase as the gun runs in so maybe its a combination of both the gun settling in and the shorter barrel thats just a guess and based on no real skill or knowledge
    S400 Carbine

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Hw 35

Im no expert but I remember in the old Airgun world,s about 1980? that they found that the export was not as powerful as the normal Hw35. They reasoned that the piston rebounding was creating suction and slowing the pellet down. With the shorter barrel the pellet was out of the barrel by the time this happened. I wouldnt have thought it would make much difference but the girlfriend reckons an extra 2 inches would help (oh err missus)

VENOM BARREL LENGTH

Hi Ant

Venom recommended a barrel length of 14 or 15 inches on the HW35.

From memory Cardew found the pellet was at its highest velocity after only 5 inches of barrel in a springer. So a barrel over 5 inches would represent a frictional loss in theory.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 26-05-2009 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Ant

Venom recommended a barrel length of 14 or 15 inches on the HW35.

From memory Cardew found the pellet was at its highest velocity after only 5 inches of barrel in a springer. So a barrel over 5 inches would represent a frictional loss in theory.

All the best Mick
    thanks for that Mick, I am hoping to put this to the test, ie,,22" barrel, chrono test, then put a short barrel on and see what difference it makes,

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Sniper View Post
    how long after you tuned it did you chrono it because the power will increase as the gun runs in so maybe its a combination of both the gun settling in and the shorter barrel thats just a guess and based on no real skill or knowledge
    after 500 shots,, the power had droped a bit

told you no skill or knowledge
    S400 Carbine

My 1980 HW35 in .22 flavour has a 14" barrel, and is fitted with Bonnie & Clyde kit. It easily produces 12ft/lbs, and needed one delrin washer removing to now average 11.69ft.lbs. Before shortening the barrel and fitting Dave's kit, the highest I ever got was 9.3ft/lbs.
    Weihrauch B&C HW95K, B&C HW35K, BAM B26-2 venoman custom, QB78 DL custom.
    You ain't so big, you jus' tall, tha's all.
    http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/index.php

HW35K

My HW35K in .22 was only doing 8 to 9ftlbs when I got it off another member on here in January. I sized the piston washer, fitted a new spring and lubed it. On the Chrono it was making 12.5 ftlbs. After a hundred shots or so its settled down to 11.7ftlbs with Superdomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Sniper View Post
    told you no skill or knowledge
    as a general rule your statment is correct, some guns go up some go down a bit,, the reason this gun droped in power was the spring was not "set" so it droped a bit,