Thread: Diana rifle ID help needed

Diana rifle ID help needed

Can anyone tell me which model air rifle this is? It says only "Diana" and "Made in Germany" with no model number.

Any hints on cleaning or maintaining it would be appreciated, also.

Thanks!

It looks like a fabulous model 58 you have there.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    It looks like a fabulous model 58 you have there.
    LOL, I hope you're saying that's a good thing.

It was my grandfather's. It looks to be in quite good shape, except for some spot of minor surface rust. It has most of its original bluing.

It seems to cock and shoot pellets pretty accurately. Should I put some oil in it somewhere?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slick66 View Post
    LOL, I hope you're saying that's a good thing.

It was my grandfather's. It looks to be in quite good shape, except for some spot of minor surface rust. It has most of its original bluing.

It seems to cock and shoot pellets pretty accurately. Should I put some oil in it somewhere?

Thanks!!
    I am indeed! It's one of the rarest and most desirable of all the pre-War Dianas. I think yours is the second of the three variants. It's probably worth well over US$1000 in such good condition and the stock looks unusually well-figured too.

I would use oil only very sparingly. The piston washer will be leather so a very small amount of silicone-based SM50 oil might be appropriate if it's dry. But ideally it should be applied directly to the washer rather than poured in via the loading tap.

Please read this thread re. conditioning the leather washer before applying any oil.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.