Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BONEHILL BRITANNIA INFO PLEASE

Talking BONEHILL BRITANNIA INFO PLEASE

Hi any Britannia owners out there can any one give me some advice on the internals of a stamped ‘’Britannia Cox’s Patent C.G. Bonehill sole manufacturer ‘’ Reg.No.394207

About 28-30 years ago I did a refurbishment on the exterior, still pleased with my effort.
    I recently re-assembled it and wonder if I have done this correctly because when it is now fired all I get is a ‘phut’ with a 5 inch spring.

First Question is what is the length of the spring for this rifle ? I have another spring almost identical to the 5 inch spring but this is 8 ½ inches long. It’s so long ago that I dismantled the Britannia I cannot remember what spring I removed.
    pics on http://www.picturetrail.com/abewilson

So far I have found stamped ‘770’ in no less than 6 places Second question anyone with any more ?
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    ATB
    abewilson

‘‘The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens’’
    Baha’u’llah 1817-1892.
    Last edited by abewilson; 27-05-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: pics website

Brittania serial number

According to Dennis Hiller,the highest number he found was #1985.

----------------------------
    Frank

Hi Frank
    Thanks for the info had no idea how many of these very well made rifles were made.

I was surprised at the number of times the number 770 was stamped on different parts of the rifle also the depth of the number meant that it would never likely to get worn off.
    ATB
    abe
    ‘The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens’’
    Baha’u’llah 1817-1892.

Quote Originally Posted by abewilson View Post
    I was surprised at the number of times the number 770 was stamped on different parts of the rifle also the depth of the number meant that it would never likely to get worn off.
    There's true old school British quality for you Abe. Even the serial numbers were built to last.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Britannia Information

Hi Garvin could not agree with you more, the quality and simplicity of the mechanisim is superb especially the stirrup barrel type locking is solid with no slack or wear after, I believe over a hundred years. Recently squeezed
    a 8 ½ inch spring into the spring section, loaded it with a .177 pellet and fired it into a a bag of cleaning cloths all I got was a phut, the pellet never left the barrel
    The spring chamber is longer than the weihrauch by over 2 inches I have read some where that these rifle have capabilities of going through a inch thick plank of wood
    So I will not be increasing the length of the spring

Garvin the falke forum pics. invaluable to me especially the different views of the sights and its variations.
    ATB
    abewilson.

Baha’u’llah 1817-1892.

Britannia

Hi, I have two Bonehill Britannias -
    1) Serial number 1013. Made by C.G. Bonehill, Belmont Works, Belmont Row, Birmingham, Cox's Patent. Engraved 'Anglo Sure Shot II' on right side of the action with Britannia trademark on the left side. Also engraved on left side 'Made only for Ramsbottom Manchester'. Has 'Pat' stamped on on left side of barrel latch and RD 394207 on left side of trigger guard / cocking lever. Rearsight set in a dovetail on the front of the receiver block. Serial number 1013 stamped on all parts. Barrel 21".Overall length 35 3/4", weight 6.5 Ilbs.

2) Serial number 2771. Same markings as above but without the engraved Anglo Sure Shot or Ramsbottom. See-saw rearsight set in a dovetail on the barrel with small flip up aperture. Barrel 22 7/8". Overall length 37 3/4". Weight 6.6Ilbs. Both rifles are .177 and have barleycorn front sights.

Serial number 2771 has a 7 1/2" long spring (flat section) and shoots very well, especially with 4.7 round balls. On low setting it produces 538fps with H/N Match pellets and 604 fps on the high setting. The spring is under very little tension when released from the bayonet fitting so I imagine it would last a very long time. My research indicates there were approx 3,000 Britannia's made, much less of the "Improved Model".

I also once owned Serial number 645 but it had a blocked barrel which I could never clear so sold it. The new owner had no luck either so replaced the barrel. Wonderful rifles!

BONEHILL BRITANNIA INFO PLEASE

Hi Trevorj
    Thanks for the info, I have included some pictures on http://www.picturetrail.com/abewilson to find out if they measure up with your britannia's innards . Please confirm if they are similar to yours

I have not seen any serial number on the piston and question whether it is the original ? do you know if you have a serial number on any of your pistons.

I am puzzled because the leather washer does not seem to reach the and of the air chamber. even with a 8 -1/2 spring. I cannot remember if replaced the original washer
    Thanks for your help
    I note that your reg numbers are the same as on my rifle.
    TWO Bonehills WOW
    ATB
    abe
    The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens
    Last edited by abewilson; 30-05-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: pics link

Britannia

Hi Abe
    I have stripped sn2771 and sn1013 and taken some more photos. Check these at - photoshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/28944406@N07/sets/
    Everything looks similar to mine but remember that there are slight variations including rear sights. There are no serial numbers on the actual piston(s) of mine and yours looks original to me. The serial number is on the end of the bayonet fitting however - see my photos.
    I am confused with the lack or power on your rifle - have you checked the washer at the end of the air chamber which comes in contact with the barrel when closed?

The stamped number RD394207 is the patent number for this model so will be on all Britannia's.

The action on sn2771 which I stripped to photograph shows an imprint of the transfer port so it definitely comes in contact with the end of the air chamber on firing. Check that there is nothing in front of the air chamber, an old washer, or part of? Clutching a straws here! Good luck.
    Regards
    Trevor

Classic Britannia flaw

Hi Trevor
    Thanks for the first class detailed pics.
    It was good to see the sight never seen the one for the britannia

The reason for the malfunction of the piston is due to an old repair causing the piston diameter to expand I will take my time and eventually repair it to the high standard deserved for a classic antique
    I have put a picture of the flaw on http://www.picturetrail.com/abewilson After seeing the blueing on yours in time I may do a similar job, or maybe an antique patina
    ATB
    abe.
    Baha’u’llah 1817-1892.

A friend's father once gave me one to repair - this would be about 25 years ago. The spring was of an eliptical/rectangular section wire, and was very tired. I'd say it was nearer 8" long or more, than 5 or 5.5"

With a new-made leather washer and the break in one of the piston 'windows' welded up, it made 564 fps. with RWS Superpoints. Considering the state of the spring, I thought this was pretty good.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Britannia Piston

Hi Mikb
    thanks for the info I do have a 8 inch spring although it is of the usual round shape. I will eventually repair the piston, its another job added to a long list.
    ATB
    abe

Hi Abe,

I am another 'Two Anglo Sureshot Britannia' owner, have we started a trend? Mine are S/N 589 and 1594. The 589 appears to have been refurbished many years ago and now has an even, brown patina all over. The 1594 was restored much more recently and is evenly blued. The earlier model has a rear sight comprising a fixed vee blade plus a flip up leaf and a long foresight blade, the later has the see-saw rear sight and a shorter foresight blade. Also, the earlier has a brass stock medallion on the right side of the butt. Apart from that, they look identical.

I also have a somewhat faded copy of an article written by Ian Alcock for NZ Airgun magazine, circa 1968 (a guess). The five pages are all about the Britannia and Ian's use of one. I actually bought my older example from Ian. Ian is an inveterate gun enthusiast and has written extensively on all manner of guns and also deer stalking. He now farms in Scotland. I can scan and Email the pages to you at the next weekend if you would like them. I have not checked yet, but I assume that your Email address is in your profile. If not please mail me at the Email address in mine.

Great rifles all, MarcDV.

Britannia info

Hi Abe, (and this being my first contribution to the BBS good afternoon to all). It looks as though the guys have pretty much answered your questions, but here is my twopennyworth. Looked inside my Brittania last night (ser. no.1771 .25, seesaw sight, 36 1/2" long) and the mainspring is 8" long, probably more when new. Super gun, more than a century old and shoots like new! Good luck with yours -- fix that piston, you won't regret it.

Best wishes: Mark.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 04-06-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: to approve as is a first post.

Britannia rules OK

Hi MarcDV
    I hope we can start a trend but not before I sucker some one into getting my second a nice improved model would do me nicely

I started this post for the piston and spring and the number of times the serial number was stamped 6.. the sixth was hidden in the region of the saddle type lock and can only just be seen on breaking the barrel as if to load and looking underneath.

The small v shape sight on mine is NOT fixed, I noticed the following day after giving it a generous squirt of WD 40 that the sight seemed to have twisted, I found that an anti clock wise twist and the sight could be unscrewed, it has a really fine thread
    I think that a part of the rear sight on mine has broken off
    I would love to have the writeup on the Britannia and I will send you an email.
    any one with more than 6 serial numbers stamped on the Britannia, if you have name your price
    Only kidding the wifes looking

MarcDV 'great rifles' now your kidding and making an understatement
    ATB
    abe
    Baha’u’llah 1817-1892.