Thread: Some help with common problems

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Some help with common problems

As Ive done a good few guns in the last year or so I thought put this up to hopefully help somebody else.
    Webley rifles and pistols with the breech seal on the cylinder/transfer port side---Take the barrel off before you try to change the washer and make sure the rounded side is facing out.
    Webley hawks mk1/2/3---bsa meteor mainsprings seem to fit them better than the ones you buy for hawks!
    Hawk mk one triggers with the hairpin spring with the long and short leg---when you fit a new trigger spring they tend to force the trigger to one side so it rubs the stock and sticks---bend the spring a bit,ease the hole in the stock or oilstone the sides of the trigger. DONT TRUST ANY SAFETY CATCH-ESPECIALLY HAWK MK 1,s
    Hawk mk 2 and 3,s---Wont cock or trigger goes very light and gun goes off on closing barrrel (will cock sometimes if you pull trigger while cocking)---This is usually the trigger wearing and you can file them up so sear engages better. Another thing Ive found is when big mainsprings have been fitted,the pin holes on the cylinder stretch and allows the end cap to push against the mainspring and piston when cocking---You sometimes have to remove a burr just in front of the trigger housing where the piston has dug in. Give it a weaker spring for an easier extended life.
    Webley junior/diana 22 etc not cocking---The trigger and notch on piston rod wear and you may need to file them square,even take a bit off the front of the trigger to let it go up a bit more.
    Relum underlever. The cocking arm rubbing---I used a bit of nylon from a tin opener to replace it or picked it out and put some araldite under it before replacing it and leaving proud. Rear stock screw(with little screw in it) --when replacing this,you have to pull the trigger when you screw it in or it does not go all the way home and can come loose and split stock. Little screw missing--3.5 mm I think--cut down a light switch plate screw--its the right thread.
    I hope this helps a few people
    Last edited by ggggr; 31-05-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: error