Thread: Collections & Insurance??

Collections & Insurance??

When does something you collect become a collection and how does this impact on insuring the items......

I recently read the small print on my contents insurance to discover that the word "collection" is used to describe a group of similar objects whose cumulative value exceeds the threshold for specified items - £500 in my particular case.

As the owner of a very modest collection of 17 pistols I am seemingly faced with specifying them as a collection and paying the required premium or risk being under (not) insured in the event of loss or damage.

Has anyone else been faced with this or simlair in respect of their airguns?

cheers

Phil
    No time like the present....

I have had the same issues especially if you buy secondhand and dont have a sales receipt If you were to claim for the item I doubt it would be covered..

Hello,

A few years back I tried to get a couple of shotguns insured. I had receipts from their purchase, so a current valuation at that time was agreed. They are also out of production, so a replacement would be very hard to find.
    The premium quoted was ridiculous. Shotguns have to be secured in a steel lockable cabinet. I bought a 16 gun cabinet from Clayshooters supplies (I think?) and put most of my air rifle/pistol collection in there also. This helps prevent their theft but not much good if my house burns down.

Sam