Thread: CP99 v PX4 storm for IPAS use

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    Got your pm, cheers Mike.

I used my skif at the UBC IPAS.

It worked really well, I was even surprised

The trigger is heavy on them, Mike (who done the IPAS at the meet) also told me that the top shooters use the Skifs, however they have been fettled with to make them smoother

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

i yoused my cp88 for the ipas at the ubc meet and got 3 plates in 1.55 sec,s i think thats the gun for the job

liam
    U.B.C Member - Beeman P3 - crosman nightstalker - walther underlever

Thumbs up Ipas?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei Gizmo View Post
    i yoused my cp88 for the ipas at the ubc meet and got 3 plates in 1.55 sec,s i think thats the gun for the job

liam
    agree 88 is a great pistol,but sadly with 1 design fault the lever U operate to
    open breech to change magazines can go down to far and stick, this would cause U to loose
    valuable time in an IPAS contest. For me personally the Colt is the best just, out of the Umarex range, because I like its trigger,and I dislike the smith that many prefer....mike...

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    If I can get spare mags, adjustable sights and better slide location sorted I'll be using my PX4 for the next IPAS, you might think the blowback would be a problem but with a bit of practice it's quick & easy to drop back on target, way easier than a .45 1911
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    If I can get spare mags, adjustable sights and better slide location sorted I'll be using my PX4 for the next IPAS, you might think the blowback would be a problem but with a bit of practice it's quick & easy to drop back on target, way easier than a .45 1911
    Nick
    Mags are £25 each + £3.50 pp from Brococks £28.99 from Pellpax

or
    only £6.00 from here if you know someone that can ship them to you >
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Berett..._magazine/2098

ATB
    Pete
    Last edited by PALADIN; 03-06-2009 at 12:01 AM.
    ULTIMATE KING RATTY ::.22 SMK QB78DL HYBRID::+QB78 D/L .25 Cal ::850 AIRMAGNUM::PISTOLS- :22 Cal Weihrauch HW80K Tactical::RAM 68 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PALADIN View Post

or

ATB
    Pete
    Would JSR be able to get hold of PX4 mags? Their Skif mags are much cheaper than at other retailers.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by PALADIN View Post

or

ATB
    Pete
    Yup,
    US suppliers are selling them for less than $10 so Brococks are taking the mick as the importer, no surprises there!
    Regards,
    Nick

Exclamation Ipas!

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Nick
    Good points U & Others make, but @ the end its down to personal taste & preference. how a pistol feels to YOU,in the end we all have our own Bias, I'm still undecided, but still leaning towards the" Colt 1911" for reasons stated earlier still looking though!...Mike...

Some musings on sighting systems

I used my CP88 competition at the meet and it worked pretty well. Double action trigger was nice and smooth and it has never misfired. I did miss the odd plate when trying to be quick though; I think that could be the longer sight base of the 6" barrel.

It has made me think about the ideal sighting arrangement.

Now, people who do IPAS properly will know far better than me, but to me red dots don't seem very good at all for quick shooting on a pistol. Yes they'll be quick for a rifle as your eye will be lined up with the sight to start with, but that's not the case for a pistol. Yes they're fast once you have the dot in the lens, but sometimes it can take some time to acquire the dot.

Don't get me wrong I love red dots for slower aimed shooting, but wiggling the pistol round trying to find the damn dot is frustrating when you're after speed.

Maybe tru-glo type opens would be better than standard bullseye types?

Or, has anyone considered or tried no sights at all, just lining the barrel up shotgun style? It's not something I want to experiment with using my own pistols though. Filing off the sights would be fairly drastic if it didn't work and would mean your pistol must be IPAS dedicated.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Smile umarex pistols and their suitability for IPAS.

HI fellas,
    Having read your discussions as to which pistol is best for IPAS, i would like to put in my tuppence worth.
    Firstly only one top shooter uses an Anics with a red dot which he uses in open division.All of the others use mainly colts and Smiths.A few use the CP88`s both in open and standard division with the rest using either the Beretta 92 or (if you have one on ticket a Brocock air cartridge revolver).

Reasons and preferences:
    The CP88 is a good little pistol, it is good for small hands, presents well to the target when drawn from the holster but has it`s down sides.Firstly it is a bit finicky if you should need to reload during a string of fire, in as much as you will find yourself having to reopen the breach to reposition the mag before it will cycle.Having to reload is bad enough but having to do it twice or more is a pain.
    Secondly the way these pistols are sprung is a cause for concern when it comes to durability.For instance the trigger return springs snap like carrots with no warning, rendering the pistol useless until it is completely stripped and repaired.Take it from me you don`t want to be doing this at a match.
    However if you prefer the look of the CP88, my advice to you is to go for the 6" barrel version because this will give you more power a greater accuracy at 18 to 20 mts.

The Berreta 92
    This is a nice pistol, well made like the rest of the range but heavier than the CP88.It presents fairly well when drawn from the holster and has good power and accuracy.The main thing in my opinion that puts this pistol ahead of the CP88 is it`s no fuss operation.It has the odd mag problem like the CP88 but generally they are few and far between.Then there is the question of durability, they are compression coil sprung and as a result never break springs.

The Colt 1911
    This pistol is in standard form out of the box is probably the worst of the bunch, the trigger is appalling,the power is sometimes low and it has more sharp edges than a family sized box of razor blades.However with a bit of work they can be transformed into a smooth, fast handling demon of a racegun.But like i said you have to work on them and know what to do to them to get the best out of them.
    I shoot one of these pistols with a tasco pdp3 red dot scope on in open division, and take it from me when drawn from a decent race holster they are the dogs.

The Smith and Wesson

If you are looking just to buy a pistol and use it in standard form(and you have large hands) then the best out of the box is the Smith.

The CP99
    I can`t really give you my opinion on these because i haven`t used one in competition, however those that have used them aren`t that impressed with them. It would seem that reliability and lack of power are the issues.

The beretta PX storm

Not a bad pistol, i have had a quick go with one but thats about it at the moment.All i can say is time will tell.

Hope this has been helpfull.

Dremelit

Thanks for that, very interesting.
    Shame about the CP99 reports you heard, I might give that a miss then.
    I had considered a S&W, but I'm put off by the pretend cylinder; it just looks too much like toy cap guns from when I was a kid.

Rohm Trainers look interesting, but I don't know if it's classed as a target gun, which aren't allowed, are they? Are they all metal construction, anyone?

Still looking

Hi Gary,
    you are correct, the Rohms are classed as a target pistol and therefore can`t be used in IPAS.
    Why don`t you come along to the next open day at Bisley on the 5th of September and have a go with a few of our loan guns and see if anything takes your fancy.
    You can even have a go with my open division tricked out Colt 1911 if you like.

Dremelit.