Thread: Red dot sights

Red dot sights

At the UBC meet I used Ewok's Steyr with a red dot sight fitted. I have not been a fan of red dots until now but this one was small, with a single lens, adjustable brightness, and seemed quite neat. I also got on well with it. I believe Ian (Aitch) also had one the same or similar, on his Rohm. It looked like the Umarex Point Sight "Competition" illustrated at the back of the CO2 gun manuals.
    Anyone know what it was? and more importantly, where to get one?

thanks
    Last edited by jefL; 31-05-2009 at 09:44 PM.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

I've been looking into getting one for my HW40, perhaps our sponsor, JSR or maybe BAR?

Not sure how much they cost but i've had some experience with the Eotech red dot sights and they are excellent.

JSR don't list anything like it on the website, Uttings have a nice cheap Walther but this seems to lack the adjustable brightness. BAR only show a couple of Hawke models, not the type I am after.
    Jef

Quote Originally Posted by scottyoungsheep View Post
    Not sure how much they cost but i've had some experience with the Eotech red dot sights and they are excellent.
    Hmmm! They certainly look good but at $600+ a throw I think perhaps a little overkill for an Umarex Beretta.

Not really the sort of thing I am looking for, but thanks anyway.
    Jef

Was it like this?
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...50&postcount=4

Hakko Panorama Mk.3, I have one on my Rohm Twinmaster pistol.

7 brightness settings and a choice of 4 reticles: small dot, circle + crosshair, fine cross, dot in ring. Weaver mounting only. I love it, much prefer it to a std tube red dot sight. Shooting with both eyes open, the frame round the lens doesn't obscure as much of the target as the body of a tube sight.

Trouble is, Hakko are no more. I got lucky with mine and got it for 50 dollars plus shipping from the auction site (US side). Edit: just read the suggested retail price on the post I've linked to and realised just how lucky I got

I also have a Barska branded copy of the Hakko sight which is quite nice but not as good quality as the Hakko. Problem with the Barska is the brightness doesn't go high enough - even with a new battery it can be very hard to see the dots at max brightness on a bright day.

There are also a lot of cheap Chinese copies on the auction site. I've no experience of these so can't judge them.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Pic of my Rohm with Hakko sight (bottom left)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/P1000524.jpg
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Thanks Adam, that is the type of thing but Ewok's had a circular lens so it is not the same.

I gave Edward a ring this morning and he has one that meets the description I gave, it's not on the website but is in the magazine advert apparently.
    Anyway, the upshot is that I have ordered one at £19.95 and a dovetail adaptor rail for the Beretta at £15, parcel is in the post now
    I'll give an update when it arrives and I have had a chance to try it.

Let's hear it for JS Ramsbottom

Many thanks Edward.
    Jef

Exclamation red dot!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    Pic of my Rohm with Hakko sight (bottom left)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...s/P1000524.jpg
    surprisingly similar 1 in sports marketing Add..mike..