Thread: Mounting a scope on a British model Hy-Score

engin is offline If you can't dazzle them with brilliance...

Mounting a scope on a British model Hy-Score

does anyone know where a dovetailed scope mount for a British model Hy-score pistol might be found?

Also, again for a British model Hy-score (Sporter) where might a sound moderator for one be found?

One final question: Where do I find a front sight blade?

Cheers chaps

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I can't answer your questions, Engin, but I bet others here can!

Cheers,

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I can't answer your questions, Engin, but I bet others here can!

Cheers,

Jim
    LOL

Cheers Jim

Good to know that you guys made it back to Mississippi in one piece!

Hope all is well and i'm looking forward to the next met-up, hopefully on your side of the pond this time!

;-)

The last models of this pistol had scope grooves cut into the cylinder, while the earlier ones just had a dovetail across the cylinder for the American style rearsight. If you have the earlier type but are dead set on fitting a scope it might mean brazing or silver soldering a rail onto the cylinder which may not be advisable if it's a collector's item (as these are).

If you are after the simple foresight blade which fits into a groove cut into the muzzle, I can help you there, although the one I have is a bit rough and needs rebluing to look good (was spray painted by a previous owner) but you can have it if it helps. Let me know if you're interested. The later foresights were alloy castings secured by a screw, I too am looking for one of these!

Re: the moderator, these are pretty rare, but any decent gunsmith or lathe engineer should be able to make an adaptor for you so you can use another moderator. The thread at the muzzle of the Phoenix Arms Sporter is a standard thread, I can't remember what thread it is though unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    The last models of this pistol had scope grooves cut into the cylinder, while the earlier ones just had a dovetail across the cylinder for the American style rearsight. If you have the earlier type but are dead set on fitting a scope it might mean brazing or silver soldering a rail onto the cylinder which may not be advisable if it's a collector's item (as these are).

If you are after the simple foresight blade which fits into a groove cut into the muzzle, I can help you there, although the one I have is a bit rough and needs rebluing to look good (was spray painted by a previous owner) but you can have it if it helps. Let me know if you're interested. The later foresights were alloy castings secured by a screw, I too am looking for one of these!

Re: the moderator, these are pretty rare, but any decent gunsmith or lathe engineer should be able to make an adaptor for you so you can use another moderator. The thread at the muzzle of the Phoenix Arms Sporter is a standard thread, I can't remember what thread it is though unfortunately.
    Rob,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, this is an early model. A friend of mine came along to the Phoenix and swapped his BSA Scorpion (pistol) for it last week.

As you say, there is a dovetail cut across the top of the cylinder. My friend has drifted out the old sight mounting and I was wondering if it might be possible to have a mount made up using the same dovetail. Something for him to look at...

The foresight? PM sent!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by engin View Post
    LOL

Cheers Jim

Good to know that you guys made it back to Mississippi in one piece!

Hope all is well and i'm looking forward to the next met-up, hopefully on your side of the pond this time!

;-)
    Yep, we returned to N'awlins late Saturday night: we both miss England.
    And Engin!

Please let us know if you've a trip here on the horizon.

Cheers!

Jim and Jan
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone