Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D Day

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    I saw a programme recently about the Higgins boats being made in New Orleans. It was not something I was previously aware of. I have visited Omaha Beach a couple of times. A narrow beach with high cliffs over it. I am not surprised it was so difficult to capture and cost so many lives. Pointe Du Hoc is also a fantastic place to see.
    My uncle piloted one and didn't know that they were, until many years later when I showed him a newspaper article telling the story.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    Quote Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
    I have only just come across this post and thought I would mention my father-in-law with whom I spent many hours sat in the garden with a beer or two as he recounted some very memorable stories. Tim (father-in-law) served with the 1st battalion South Lancashire Regiment from 1938-1945 in the 8th brigade of the British 3rd Infantry Division and landed on Sword beach in the first infantry assault around 7.30am. Tim and a pal of his called Jimmy cartwright came off the landing craft at the same time and in the first few yards Jimmy was hit and fell, Tim stopped but the Beach Master shouted "leave your mates the medics are coming",Tim said "I'm sorry Jimmy I've got to go".
    On the 50th anniversary of D-Day Tim went back to Normandy as he often did, a serving officer approached him and said we have a chap on our coach who has recognised your cap badge and thinks he may Know you,Tim followed him over to the coach to be met by the mate he thought had been dead for fifty years. Tim reaction was "Jimmy Cartwright you fell at the side of me" to which Jimmy replied "aye and you bloody left me there"(Jimmy had lost a leg in the incident)

I dont know the wherabouts of Jimmy Cartwright but sadly Tim passed away in March 2009 age 87.

It was a honour to hear first hand accounts, with some very surprising details you'll probably never read in a history book.

I have an enormous amount of respect for are Armed Forces past and present.
    Excellent post mate thank you for that.
    Mark