Thread: Taurus conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
    Here is a pic of Wobbly's pistol - I can't wait to have a crack, I wonder if Westlake's will do a .44 ??
    Have you shot it lately ? how are you getting on with loads etc ?
    Dan, when you coming to give it a try ?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

JUst to show my ignorance...

...is there a reason why this conversion, and the LBR's. are always Taurus? Never Smiths, Rugers, etc?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Taurus Conversion

Jim
    Taurus manufacture the lbr as a section 1 firearm in that the long barrel and Tv aerial on the back are part of the initial manufacturing deal. By changing it to be a muzzle loader you are merely changing it form one form of section 1 to another, which is ok.Smith, Ruger etc do not make section 1 firearms for our market only standard stuff which is section 5 here,(hence largely prohibited) .You are not allowed to convert a prohibited weapon into a section 1 on the premise you could always convert it back to the original spec.
    Hope that helps
    Gary

Yes, thanks!

Yes, that explains it perfectly, Gary, thank you!

I figured there had to be some such reason - that for some reason, Taurus was the only manufacturer WILLING to do so.

I own a Taurus revolver and really love it, but I also know that many pistol owners don't regard their build quality as being as good as Smith & Wesson, or Ruger: so I didn't think that "Taurus is just a better gun for the job" was the correct answer.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Croydon, Surrey, England, Earth, The Milky Way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    ...is there a reason why this conversion, and the LBR's. are always Taurus? Never Smiths, Rugers, etc?

Jim
    Yes, Cost.

Aside from what GAZZAR15 said being mainly correct, Taurus are only only affordable show in town now, Ruger did play for a while, but they fetch strong money even used you're looking between £700-1000, you can get UK legal Smiths from The PC in Germany but at £1500 would you want to chop one up into a muzzloader?

Same with Freedom Arms, they will produce a run of UK legal pistols if the demand is there but with the minimum order requirements and £2000 a pop, some dealers have had FA pistol's on their shelves for 2 years now.

Same for the JTL thing or whatever it was for 16 million pounds or however much it was.....

You've still got the .357 Alfa's but given the choice and availbility of spares for the Taurus, it's the sensible option.

If Taurus did a run of Westlake based ML revolvers at a good price they would sell like hot cakes IMO.
    Don’t knock vegetarians…. Some of my best meals have been vegetarians…

Quote Originally Posted by Boom-stick View Post
    Yes, Cost.

Aside from what GAZZAR15 said being mainly correct, Taurus are only only affordable show in town now, Ruger did play for a while, but they fetch strong money even used you're looking between £700-1000, you can get UK legal Smiths from The PC in Germany but at £1500 would you want to chop one up into a muzzloader?

Same with Freedom Arms, they will produce a run of UK legal pistols if the demand is there but with the minimum order requirements and £2000 a pop, some dealers have had FA pistol's on their shelves for 2 years now.

Same for the JTL thing or whatever it was for 16 million pounds or however much it was.....

You've still got the .357 Alfa's but given the choice and availbility of spares for the Taurus, it's the sensible option.

If Taurus did a run of Westlake based ML revolvers at a good price they would sell like hot cakes IMO.
    Good points, Boom-Stick!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boom-stick View Post
    I'd go along with that,never fancied the long barrelled jobbies but Westlake style ones would be hard to resist.