Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many shoot pistol crossbows?

My nephew recently bought himself a full size 150lb crossbow.
    We tried it out in the brother in law's back garden

The first bolt went through a 3/4" chipboard table top, a 1/4" sheet of ply and a half inch thick fence board, coming to rest when the flights caught in the hole

My first attempt missed the target completely and hit the concrete block wall below the fence. The bolt ended up s shaped.

This thing is ridiculously powerful, costs less than £100, and can be bought by a teenager. Why they bothered to restrict airguns further under the VCR act I don't know.

Now, where did you say you bought it Tom?
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

pistol crossbow

i've just got a barnett trident 75lb pull, my gargen is thirty yards and i use my rifles in it all the time(very good neighbors). but this thing is lethal,put some 10mm ply,covered it i 2 lots of carpet,pulled the trigger,and all it left in the wood was the flights.shaft hit the wall 2ft behind target an bent the ali shaft. i had know idea they were that powerful, got it to use in the garden, but its got to much power. the wife saw it go off and now its banned. does anyone know what kind of ranges this is capable of.

atb

levi
    AA pro sport .177 walnut mtc viper 10x44/TX200HC .177 v-mach walnut 3200 elite 10x40/ bsa r10 .177 falcon menace 10x42/
    brocock aimx grand prix .177 rhino 2x32/gamo compact

Quote Originally Posted by plank1905 View Post
    i've just got a barnett trident 75lb pull, my gargen is thirty yards.
    does anyone know what kind of ranges this is capable of.

atb

levi
    Yeah a "hell of a long" range

I would love the Trident My parents wouldn't let me near one

Is yours the auto load version with three bolts on it or the single bolt one?

I know they do the Trident with a 90lbs prod on it as well
    Oh hell, I'm slavering over my keyboard again

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by neil1972 View Post
    ..50 lb pull weight,,
    What's the range / penetration power on a 50 pounder, Neil?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

trident

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Yeah a "hell of a long" range

I would love the Trident My parents wouldn't let me near one

Is yours the auto load version with three bolts on it or the single bolt one?

I know they do the Trident with a 90lbs prod on it as well
    Oh hell, I'm slavering over my keyboard again

Tony
    mines just the single bolt one. a 90lbs prod,that must have some power.

levi
    AA pro sport .177 walnut mtc viper 10x44/TX200HC .177 v-mach walnut 3200 elite 10x40/ bsa r10 .177 falcon menace 10x42/
    brocock aimx grand prix .177 rhino 2x32/gamo compact

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    What's the range / penetration power on a 50 pounder, Neil?

Jim
    Anybody know?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

How many might be interested in throwing Pistol Crossbow in as a separate category at the Vintage comps?

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 17-06-2009 at 03:21 PM.

I would, but I just dare not shoot it in the garden as its too small (hence my shortage of intact bolts) and I have know where else to shoot it

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Tony, I used to shoot longbow - well, stickbow, anyway - not very well, mind you - but the point I'm leading up to is that I used to use a foam-box archery target, which I now use for my air pistols.

It had no trouble stopping shafts from my bows (which were 35 - 40 # range).

This is the thing you need. I can't imagine those crossbow bolts being able to penetrate it.

Jim

I had one of these pistol crossbows, used it once, with 3 bolts, missed the target with all of them.

I was too scared to use it again, very powerful and very innacurate, in my opinion the only thing they are good for is to cause damage and accidents.

Always wanted a proper full size crossbow, but can't really see where I'd use it, they need the the same sort of respect as a centrefire, but they're nowhere near as accurate.

Just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    I had one of these pistol crossbows, used it once, with 3 bolts, missed the target with all of them.

I was too scared to use it again, very powerful and very innacurate, in my opinion the only thing they are good for is to cause damage and accidents.

Always wanted a proper full size crossbow, but can't really see where I'd use it, they need the the same sort of respect as a centrefire, but they're nowhere near as accurate.

Just my opinion!
    This is scary! While I don't think it would penetrate all the way through my target backing, I'm scared of the thought of where a complete miss might go.

Jim

i have seen a full size cross bow used it zambia on deer to great effect
    as it makes little sound unlike full bore guns as every thing in ear shot wont
    disapear over the hills

Exclamation Power OOoooh yeah!!

Hi Guys
    Back in the 1970s a mate of mine turned up with the top of the range "Barnet" 250 to 300 lb draw weight jobby. I was in the RN Fleet Air Arm so we took it to our ground equipment hangar and pinned a target to a sheet of half inch marine ply and supported that with a pile of "Thermalite" insulation blocks. Retreated to the end of the hanger (10 metres ish) took aim and fired. The bolt was the type described as a "quarrel", and yes it is the origin of the expression "to pick a quarrel". It went nowhere near the bull, straight through the marine ply and the thermalite blocks exited the breeze block wall of the hanger leaving a neat hole on the inside and an exploded face on the outside ("Looks like frost damage to me Sir") and we never did find the bolt.

These things can stop large game animals. Stay well away unless you intend to hunt deer, and that's illegal.
    Oh yeah, the compound bows are not that far behind and harder to aim.

Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hi Guys
    Back in the 1970s a mate of mine turned up with the top of the range "Barnet" 250 to 300 lb draw weight jobby. I was in the RN Fleet Air Arm so we took it to our ground equipment hangar and pinned a target to a sheet of half inch marine ply and supported that with a pile of "Thermalite" insulation blocks. Retreated to the end of the hanger (10 metres ish) took aim and fired. The bolt was the type described as a "quarrel", and yes it is the origin of the expression "to pick a quarrel". It went nowhere near the bull, straight through the marine ply and the thermalite blocks exited the breeze block wall of the hanger leaving a neat hole on the inside and an exploded face on the outside ("Looks like frost damage to me Sir") and we never did find the bolt.

These things can stop large game animals. Stay well away unless you intend to hunt deer, and that's illegal.
    Oh yeah, the compound bows are not that far behind and harder to aim.

Target Bunny
    Jesus H Christ, and they pick on us in the VCR !!!!

I had a Trident back in the late 80's with a homemade shoulder stock and a crappy pistol scope and it was suprisingly accurate up to about 25-30 yards, if the bolts were in good condition. Coke cans no problem

Unfortunately my dad found it and very kindley burnt it

Good fun while it lasted but they are bloomin dangerous..