Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many shoot pistol crossbows?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Let's pass on it!

OK, mates, after hearing all these stories about crossbows: let's NOT include them in our UBC backyard shoots! And I'll hold off getting one until I'm no longer in the city.

These crossbows sound so dangerous that I might as well just start shooting a cartridge rifle in my city backyard, as shoot one of them!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    These crossbows sound so dangerous that I might as well just start shooting a cartridge rifle in my city backyard, as shoot one of them!

Jim
    You'll probably do less damage with the rifle, and be more certain of where the missile will finish up too.

You don't fancy the William Tell bit where he shoots an apple off his sons head then? I can just picture Jan, with an apple balanced on her head, standing against the wall at the end of your yard, and you, dropping the bolt into a ready cocked crossbow...aaagh! , the blood, the gore, yeuch!
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Power

Hi Again
    I Should have added that the only thing we DID find was that the flights made it through the ply but stopped at the first layer of blocks.

Jim, I agree with you about the rifle and having looked you up on Google I reckon that you stand a good chance of penetrating at least two neighbouring houses since they look to be wooden walled.

If you go to "Brainiac Science Abuse" you can find the one wherethey tried to find out which household object would protect you from attack by a bow. Only thing that worked was a wok, and the bolt stuck in that. If they had used a "serious" bow or crossbow that would have failed as well.

As far as the VCR act goes they target guns because they are easiet to conceal than, for example, battle axes or broadswords.

Be affraid, be VERY affraid.

Taget Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    You'll probably do less damage with the rifle, and be more certain of where the missile will finish up too.

You don't fancy the William Tell bit where he shoots an apple off his sons head then? I can just picture Jan, with an apple balanced on her head, standing against the wall at the end of your yard, and you, dropping the bolt into a ready cocked crossbow...aaagh! , the blood, the gore, yeuch!
    Actually, Jan once won a trophy, for shooting a sausage. True story!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post

Jim, I agree with you about the rifle and having looked you up on Google I reckon that you stand a good chance of penetrating at least two neighbouring houses since they look to be wooden walled.

Be affraid, be VERY affraid.

Taget Bunny
    My gosh, I'll have to have a Google-eyed view of my own house, I reckon!

Yes, the houses surrounding mine are all wooden. Mostly vacant, though. (NO correlation between that fact and my airguns! )

My house looks like wooden plank but is something called "hardyboard" or something like that - it's actually concrete.

Can you see our backyard?

Jim

Cool View of house

Hi Jim
    I used Google Earth and your zip code. So I was looking straight down then a little to one side. So yes i could see your back yard and you are not a true redneck since there is not a single car up on cinder blocks in your yard.

Regards
    Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

No cars on blocks : palm trees, actually , if you were looking at my residence rather than the "5721" address, which is just my postal-service address.

Jim

okkkkkkkkkkk

my 50 lb,pistol is plenty powerful,,went straight through a cardboard box then the bush..and hit the wall

Trident

I have one of these, Barnett Trident 75lb prod/limb that i have never used still in its originial box, that i bought in 1995, never had the nerve to assemble it and fire it, anyone with the space to use it, offers?
    Tried it on ####, and its always removed after 2-3days, but the bidding always gets to £100.00 very quickly.

Sell it on here, bound to be plenty of interest. I've got the 40 lb version of the Trident, I bought on a whim years ago. Never had the bottle to shoot it in the garden, and after damaging one or two household objects I don't shoot it inside either!
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Its not just crossbows that are way more powerful than our sporting equipment.
    When We moved into this house I found a kids wooden Slazenger bow in the loft. I dimly remember these from my childhood. 4 ft long marked 20lbs.
    In due course I strung it and bought some nice modern arrows.
    No real idea of power so I filled a six pint plastic milk bottle with sand. A legal limit air rifle makes a polite hole in one side of this set up.
    Set it up at 15 yds and fired bow. You guessed it. The arrow went straight through it and stuck in the fence another 20 yds on.
    So I know what Im getting if airgun ownership becomes too difficult. It will look like Agincourt at our shoot.Not that our Government would know what Agincourt was!

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    The author William Burroughs killed his wife doing that in the 1950s! She used to balance a glass on her head and he would shoot it with one of his many pistols. One night he shot her in the head! He got away with it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Its not just crossbows that are way more powerful than our sporting equipment.
    When We moved into this house I found a kids wooden Slazenger bow in the loft. I dimly remember these from my childhood. 4 ft long marked 20lbs.
    In due course I strung it and bought some nice modern arrows.
    No real idea of power so I filled a six pint plastic milk bottle with sand. A legal limit air rifle makes a polite hole in one side of this set up.
    Set it up at 15 yds and fired bow. You guessed it. The arrow went straight through it and stuck in the fence another 20 yds on.
    So I know what Im getting if airgun ownership becomes too difficult. It will look like Agincourt at our shoot.Not that our Government would know what Agincourt was!
    Good Lord! And this from only a 20lb bow!

Were it not for the longbow, we might both be typing these messages in French.

Jim

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    i want onei want one i want one
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    The author William Burroughs killed his wife doing that in the 1950s! She used to balance a glass on her head and he would shoot it with one of his many pistols. One night he shot her in the head! He got away with it, too.
    The police probably figured that if she were that stupid, her intelligence didn't qualify her for the human range, so it couldn't have been a homicide!

Jim