Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How many shoot pistol crossbows?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    i want onei want one i want one
    So do I, Sol. But, not until I live somewhere I can shoot it safely.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I got one of the 80lb pistols (along with the steel tipped aluminum bolts). Ordered online £14 delivered.

Boy is it lethal! Using the 'standard' yellow pages test at seven meters it
    goes through ~600 pages. Reloading is easy, probably just as fast as a
    springer air rifle. Not at all accurate of course.

How come it's so easy to get hold of these things when there's so much
    control of far less powerful airguns... shrug.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mdwsw View Post

Mike
    Give them time Mike, as soon as someone gets hurt by one and the press splatter it all over the front page you can be sure there will be calls to ban them.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

My other half, who doesn't like guns and things quoted a Police Camera Action or similar the other night where a police officer came out of a house carrying a crossbow, stating "this is a firearm!"

It won't be long now.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by mdwsw View Post

Mike
    Mike, be sure to phrase such questions in a way that indicates you want less control over airguns, rather than more over crossbows!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    Give them time Mike, as soon as someone gets hurt by one and the press splatter it all over the front page you can be sure there will be calls to ban them.
    Sad but true! FIGHT it if it comes to that! Don't give in!

Jim

Firearm

Sorry Guys
    But Plod already has you over a barrel.
    The one who came out of the house saying "This is a firearm." was almost correct.
    Ask any of our shooting friends who are concerned with the police and they will tell you that anything which launches a projectile of any description and causes death or serious injury as a result, is considered to be a "firearm", for the purposes of the act.
    BUT it does not become one untill it has caused the above mentioned injury or death and it is the INDIVIDUAL item and not the class of item which is so classified.
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Thanks for sticking up for us British shooters, Jim. You are right: further restirctions on crossbows is not wanted here.

Talking Bbb

OK we already have the UBC so what about the BBB (Barnet Bow Benders) BBC would have been better but the initials are already taken.
    Just remember that bow targets will take 9 sheets of A4 each.

Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Jim D., it sounds as though you're a bowman.

I understand what you're saying about something being a "firearm" - in the sense that objects like bottles or towels or forks legally become "deadly weapons": if, but not until, they are utilized as such.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Thanks for sticking up for us British shooters, Jim. You are right: further restirctions on crossbows is not wanted here.
    You're welcome, Powderfinger!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Sorry Guys
    But Plod already has you over a barrel.
    The one who came out of the house saying "This is a firearm." was almost correct.
    Ask any of our shooting friends who are concerned with the police and they will tell you that anything which launches a projectile of any description and causes death or serious injury as a result, is considered to be a "firearm", for the purposes of the act.
    BUT it does not become one untill it has caused the above mentioned injury or death and it is the INDIVIDUAL item and not the class of item which is so classified.
    I don't think that's the case. The wording I believe is that a firearm is a "lethal barrelled weapon". Bows of course have no barrel. If crossbows did come under the firearms acts then so would other bows, and even catapults and they'd be subject to the 12 ft.lbs limit which they're clearly not as most bows will exceed that energy.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

I have to agree with Adam, however much the police would like to treat a crossbow as a firearm, no charge would ever stand up in court.

They would have to go down the route of an "offensive weapon" and bring charges under other legislation than the various firearms acts. Just because it's lethal, and fires a projectile, it doesn't make it a firearm.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

ther was a medievil cross bow with a barrel for shooting bullets (though most bullet bows did not have barrels) thers also now an atachment for a compound bow that converts it in to an airgun shooting regular pellets the Airow .

I made a pistol crossbow complete with anatomical grip for my technology 'O' level! passed it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Mike, be sure to phrase such questions in a way that indicates you want less control over airguns, rather than more over crossbows!

Jim
    ah... sorry Jim. I didn't mean it to sound like that of course.

Mike