Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How many shoot pistol crossbows?

Question Firebows

Adam, Jef
    I simply recall reading the line that "for the purposes of the act any (my emphasis) projectile weapon which causes (not is capable of causing) death or significant injury shall, for the purposes of the act, (this was in the middle of a part of one of the firearms acts and my brain was hurting) be classified as a firearm regardless of the method of projection of the projectile.

The entire thing is riddled with technical bull excrement. For example my neighbour and I have adjoining gardens with a clear view between them. If I put a target in his garden and he joins me in a spot of plinking I am breaking the law but he is not. I am "allowing or causing projectiles to leave the boundaries on MY property", but he is firing into his property which, since he has my permission as the property owner of the property he is shooting from, is not illegal.

Malakiblunt,
    ther was a medievil cross bow with a barrel for shooting bullets (though most bullet bows did not have barrels)
    It was called a slurbow and there was a spring powered gun which fired a quarrel or bullet but I can't remember what it was called.

Regards
    Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Ah, I see where you are coming from Jim. That bit may be just a catch all for any propellant other than powder/cordite, the basic definition of a firearm still hinges on the "lethal barrelled" bit. Interesting the sudden use of "projectile weapon" I wonder where that came from, the 1968 act almost exclusively uses the term "firearm" or the occasional "weapon" without an adjective. There are non-barrelled weapons that come under the (1968) act but they are listed, such things as stun guns, cs spray and flame throwers. I still think there would be difficulty making a charge stick under the firearms acts for a crossbow, but I wouldn't like to bet money on it. You can just see a bunch of learned gentlemen pondering over this one across a nice wood-panelled court room, whist racking up enormous fees in the process.

Meanwhile, due to the lack of clarity in our firearms laws, the police can make all sorts of claims to suit their needs, knowing that it will possibly need a court case to determine legality.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwsw View Post
    ah... sorry Jim. I didn't mean it to sound like that of course.

Mike
    We always need to remember that the Controllers are aways looking for any reason or rationale or excuse to make the matter worse.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Question Alleged Legal system

Jef

I agree about the state of the firearms act and just to show agreement with you about making a charge stick think about this scenario:-

Fred takes a bow and sets up a target in his back garden. He misses it entireley and skewers one of the local drug taking fraternity who are innocently doing their thing behind his hedge.
    He is hauled into court and charged with posessing an offencesive weapon.
    His defence is that as an Englishman he is obeying the law and practicing archery on a Sunday and for that he needs a bow.

What this shows is that although new laws and acts get brought in NOBODY has the foggiest idea of how they will interact with current (even if outdated) laws and acts still on the statute books. Just because an act or a law is no longer enforced it is not wiped away without an act of parliament to remove it.
    Remember that it took an act of parliament to get rid of the man with the red flag from in front of your car.
    This is wy we are in such a mess.

Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Jef

Remember that it took an act of parliament to get rid of the man with the red flag from in front of your car.

Jim D
    what you mean i dont need to pay the bloke with the flag anymore? thats going to save me a fortune! , might even be able afford some petrol now

Used to have one of these pistol crossbow things-pretty good fun and easy to use if you get one with the cocking arm. Gave it to a mate who was bowless, as I had the two bows to be getting on with and was spending a lot of time knife throwing. So many projectile weapons, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    I had the two bows to be getting on with and was spending a lot of time knife throwing. So many projectile weapons, so little time!
    I used to shoot bows, and throw axe, knife, and spear: still have the stuff, and plan to resume the sports when we move to the country.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I used to shoot bows, and throw axe, knife, and spear: still have the stuff, and plan to resume the sports when we move to the country.

Jim
    Throwing is great-done axe and a whole bunch of different knives (Colts, Cold Steels and Bo-Kris joint favourites)- never got round to spear though! There's a few guys out in the 'States lob SKS bayonets- got a set myself and they are something else to throw
    Last edited by short-carabine; 07-04-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Typo

Spears can be easy to stick. But it you don't stick them, they REALLY can ricochet: have been known to come back and chase the thrower!

I have an Olsen throwing knife from around 1970: very good condition, as is it's original sheath. Do you think it might be worth something?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Spears can be easy to stick. But it you don't stick them, they REALLY can ricochet: have been known to come back and chase the thrower!

I have an Olsen throwing knife from around 1970: very good condition, as is it's original sheath. Do you think it might be worth something?

Jim
    Had bounceback a couple of times with knives-sweated a bit as something pointy came back at me...spear must be ten times worse..instant kebab!

Never heard of an Olsen, but some of the old throwers can fetch a bit. I have seen a few on the US #### really rack up the $$$. I reckon its worth looking in to-there are some collectors out there in the US- maybe a google might bring some info up?
    Last edited by short-carabine; 07-04-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Typo