Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vintage HFT Fundraiser

Behind all good men...is someone just like Diane.( but I never said that) Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Behind all good men...is someone just like Diane.( but I never said that) Well done.
    Yeah, and she's usually holding something sharp!
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

I forgot to say thanks to James (Caddy) for the specially crafted BSA cup, and Pete (Binners) for the raffle prizes and their kind donations despite not being able to attend! Top blokes both!

And a special mention to Anthony 'bungle' Gauntlett for manning the barbie and feeding us all so well, top grub matey!

Paul.
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

Cup

Thanks Paul glad it went so well, did John claim it or was it used for a on one of the side shoots?

I did take a photo of the cup, parts used were old bike bell, spanner, padlock fixing and filler!
    http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...albumview=grid

Cheers Caddy.

Hi Caddy,

We had a lovely day and lots of money raised for a good cause. John was chuffed to bits with the trophy he has got it on display, he said it means more to him than an expensive one bought from a trophy shop as it was made from an old BSA spanner, you know John lol.

Regrds

Jo

Good home

HI Jo, Glad it went to an appreciative winner. Yes I heard John likes his BSA's
    Caddy.

I am still amazed that in 100 years the technology is still so similar, and the accuracy so high - were the rifles being used on Sunday typical of what was being used all those years ago or were they fettled?

Considering all the shots were being taking standing(and kneeling by Southern softies like me on occasion) with open sights, I don't think the results would be much different with most springers available off the shelf today.

I know performance and points weren't the point of the day, but it was quite an eye opener to me.

Richard
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

Yes enthusiast these were representative, most shooters at the turn of the 1900's has shared access to a club weapon. There was of course some vaiation and modification but the stuff we have does show what people were capable of producing. It never fails to amaze how good our engineers and craftsmen were!
    A man's best friend is his weapon.....

BFTO Member and Vintage enthusiast.

alan-aitch. is offline Burris Burris Burris Burris Burris Burris
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    Considering all the shots were being taking standing(and kneeling by Southern softies like me on occasion) with open sights, I don't think the results would be much different with most springers available off the shelf today.

Richard
    I reckon if you could fit a modern trigger to one of these guns, (I know you wouldn't actually do it) accuracy would be up there with any modern springer with open sights.

I may have to test it at the next one, shoot round with my vintage gun in the morning and then have a crack with one of my TX's after.

Alan.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-aitch. View Post
    I reckon if you could fit a modern trigger to one of these guns, (I know you wouldn't actually do it) accuracy would be up there with any modern springer with open sights.

I may have to test it at the next one, shoot round with my vintage gun in the morning and then have a crack with one of my TX's after.

Alan.
    I think you are bang on re. the trigger Alan.....the piston rod engages directly with the trigger on most of the guns you saw on sunday....the minimum recommended pull by BSA at the time was around 4 pounds.......I had one of mine at work a while back, and a guy had brought in an early FWB 300s........neither of us could shoot the others gun