Thread: B.P. Revolver Wads

B.P. Revolver Wads

After buying overpowder wads on and off over many many years I have still to find an economical source of either 44/45 cal. cut wads or the material to cut them from. With commercial wads now at £5+/100 ther must be some enterprising member who has solved this problem?
    Before you direct me to fillers! Please dont. I have been experimenting on and off for 30 years and i.m.o. wads are more accurate by small margin. But fillers will log up your revolver with crud 50/60 times faster wads. Since most all of the wad exits but some of the fillers will fly around the cylinder mechanisms.
    I have experimented extensively on this subject. There will likely be challenges to this opinion I have no doubt.

But if you have a wad procurement solution I would be well pleased to hear it.

Also while I having my fivepeneth - I pre-grease my (Lead) balls with PURE Neatsfoot Oil to load over my wads. As opposed to filling the cylinder mouth. My gun hardly needs cleaning outside and inside with this method. Never had a trace of leading in the bore or forcing cone.
    Sorry to waffle! Please advise your wad procurement solution!!
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Hi Leadhead

Well - how weird to see your post - I was about to put up a sales thread in the 'New Items' Section, for BP wads I'm producing - sometime in the next few days !!

PM inbound with some early info !

Cheers

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 16-06-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Wads

Roy

Sure look forward to your info.
    I need, in particular about 12mm long 45`s.Length is obviously a function of commpressability.

Regards
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

These were good from that site! 290320430463

Found some 1/2" dense felt locally from an upholsterer. Punched 'em out and lubed them with the remains of a warmed tin of Barbour wax dressing poured in a plastic bag with the wads and 'scrunched' around.
    Work a treat and as you say no semolina/rice pudding blowing round the place!

Also used the Barbour dressing on approx 1000 .44 ball, leaves a nice coating and no need for extra slop on the front
    ATB

ROA Wads

Thanks for replies.
    Two very promising and cost effective sources have contacted me. When I am in receipt of some wads I will test the results and post the info. (Given the vendors permission)

Wads

OK Now tested the first wads. Using my ROA. - 18gr. Swiss No1 followed by a wadsunlimited .450x1/2" lubed wad (They are slightly prone to collapse if not pushed in squarely with the thumb. A method easily mastered) and then a neatsfoot lubed ball on top. No cylinder afterlubing is required. (Since a half inch wad leaves no possability of flashover.) Leaves gun very clean. This combination produced a 2.5" group @ 25 Mtr. This is about as well as I can see and hold.
    I would imagine with practice this could be improved. Since it it possible to call the position of the shots.
    I expect to recieve shortly two more types of wad for testing and will post the results and inform of any improvements in tecnique.