Thread: Game Licence

Combat Barbie Guest

Game Licence

Just wondering how many people have got their Game Licence?

Also for those who have, what sort of response did you get for the counter staff at you PO?

I have spoken to severel people who have all had a positive response and found their PO helpful......some are even advertising the fact that they sell them!!!

Lets have it folks .... the good the bad and the ugly

CB

Hi Lorraine,

Your PM box is full. any chance you could give me Ed's email addy from the GT site.

david.

i always get one.

never had any problem. the usual comments are 'dont get much call for those in here! infact when i bought the last one the girl at the counter checked the date on the previous stub to find that it dated 14 months previously!

I'm assuming your asking game shooters and forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but you don't need a game licence for airgun quarry species.

Scarecrow Guest
    Originally posted by morose
    I'm assuming your asking game shooters and forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but you don't need a game licence for airgun quarry species.
    No, because rabbits, rats and wood pigeons are not classified as game. Now if you want to shoot pheasants with an air rifle, then yes you will need a game licence - remembering that there is a season for pheasant and outside of that it is still a big no-no, whether you have a game licence or not.

There's been some discussion here about this. IIRC the issue was rabbits. Were they not classed as 'game', but as the UK has been declared a 'rabbit free zone' they are considered a 'pest' species with an 'open season'.

Can't remember the outcome, but at least one person thought spending £6 on a game license was a good investment against finding out one was required. As I do.

Almost worth the money for the look on the counter staff's face when I ask for a license to 'Kill Game'.

To be good, one must do good.

Combat Barbie Guest
    Im presuming you do not shoot Hares in that case?

CB

Originally posted by Baldie
    There's been some discussion here about this. IIRC the issue was rabbits. Were they not classed as 'game', but as the UK has been declared a 'rabbit free zone' they are considered a 'pest' species with an 'open season'.

Can't remember the outcome, but at least one person thought spending £6 on a game license was a good investment against finding out one was required. As I do.

Almost worth the money for the look on the counter staff's face when I ask for a license to 'Kill Game'.

Could you point me in the direction of the source regarding the UK being Rabbit free please? I have to confess having never come across this and I have to spend a lot of time reviewing wildlife legislation.

As for giving the PO some bemusing requests I'm all for that

Originally posted by Combat Barbie
    Im presuming you do not shoot Hares in that case?

CB
    Not with a 12ft/lbs air rifle....?

Combat Barbie Guest

Some people might have FAC rated Air Rifles (on ticket of course) in which case they may well take Hares

CB

Could you point me in the direction of the source regarding the UK being Rabbit free please? I have to confess having never come across this and I have to spend a lot of time reviewing wildlife legislation.

As for giving the PO some bemusing requests I'm all for that

Look on DEFRA website. Find Form: PA11 Rev5/02. Para.1

I have a copy in front of me. (Well 20 copes actually), but can't find the site in my favourites list.

HTH.

Originally posted by Combat Barbie
    Some people might have FAC rated Air Rifles (on ticket of course) in which case they may well take Hares

CB
    Yep, hence my question mark.

Why not, 12ft/lbs is enough to kill a hare,I've shot hares using 12ft/lbs and dispatched them cleanly and no runners.

Den
    Knowledge Dispel's Fear

Without getting into the Hare shooting debate with airguns there is an exemption for shooting Hares under the Ground Game Act 1880 Section 4.

States: A game licence is not required by occupiers of land or persons authorised by them under the provisions of the Ground Game Act 1880 to take or kill rabbits and Hares.

I think this is also backed up by the Hare Act 1848.

Sorry I'm not meaning to preach the Acts and sound like a (insert insult of choice)

Cheers, Charlie

Look on DEFRA website. Find Form: PA11 Rev5/02. Para.1

I have a copy in front of me. (Well 20 copes actually), but can't find the site in my favourites list.

HTH.

Found it thanks mate. I misread your post and thought you meant that the UK had been declared free of Rabbits lol. Document basically underlines the requirments of the 1954 pests act. Pests are not Game and therefore do not require a Game licence.

Thanks for the reference.