Thread: 777 advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My original comment remains, dont compress 777 it makes is burn even faster.

I have some further investigating to do regading use of filler. Hodgdons suggest a wonderwad under the ball is all. I like the ball at the front of my revolver cylinder so fill it out, but this is against the recomendations.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    My original comment remains, dont compress 777 it makes is burn even faster.

I have some further investigating to do regading use of filler. Hodgdons suggest a wonderwad under the ball is all. I like the ball at the front of my revolver cylinder so fill it out, but this is against the recomendations.

Dear Mr Coal - see your pm.

Best

tac

BTW - the extremely shallow rifling in the Enfield was designed from the onset to accommodate a bullet with an expanding base, that upsets into this shallow rifling. A solid base bullet would probably not do this, and might have the same accuracy as pitching the bullet under-arm. A load that would upset a solid bullet as big as this would necessarily be VERY hard on the shoulder, and might even be dangerous to shoot with the comparatively thin-walled barrel of the P53-style arm. True, I can shoot cylindro-conoidal bullets out of my hexagonal-rifled Whitworth, and find them, in the backstop, converted by the ka-boom into perfect hexagons, but I'm shooting between 90 and 100gr of FFg in THAT load [safely, I might add, since that is the load stamped on the barrel]. Doing the same with a 600gr .577 solid bullet and an equal amount of charge would be very interesting.

Once.
    Last edited by tacfoley; 18-06-2009 at 11:09 AM.