Thread: BSA Scopemaster Adjustable Mounts.

BSA Scopemaster Adjustable Mounts.

A recent Bunny outing, revealed that the Optimate scope on my Ruger TNZ, was slightly of kilter, and hence I could not hit the barn, never mind the door

The scope did not looked marked or bent, neither did the two piece Sportsmatch mounts, but something was wrong and considering the scope still functioned fine, I opted for another choice.

http://www.bsaguns.co.uk/images/scopes_mounts2.jpg

These mounts are made by B-Square, for BSA and are, in my opinion, the most cost effective and useful solution, to scope mounting on the market.

As far as I am aware, only the one piece mount is fully adjustable, but it comes in 3 widths for different rail. Item codes 603a, b, or c. I went for the widest 603C, which will fit 12.9 to 14mm rails, as found on my Ruger.

Because the rings are able to tip forward and backwards, they will not "crimp" the scope tube, if one ring is higher than the other (unlike Sportsmatch etc). Even Non-Adjustable rings, can crimp the tube, purely because they aren't made to exact specs, which is why Target and Bench rest shooters "lap" their rings, in order to make sure they are level.

Each ring, is mounted on a steel split ring, that threads onto a shaft, coming from the base (that clamps to the rail). By turning the complete ring on the shaft, you can raise each ring, to adjust elevation.

The split ring, is mounted in the scope ring, by two grub screws, which allows the ring to move back and forth.

These grub screws, are also the means to adjust windage.

By simultaneously loosening the screw on one side and tightening the other, you physically move the ring across. BSA only provide one Allen key for that size screw, but I suggest having two, so you can simultaneously loosen and tighten, otherwise you may wind the screws out of their location holes on the split rings, which means the mount won't tighten up...though it is easily fixed, it is a pain to do so!

I was able to dial my scope (which I had optically centred), from 8 inches high and 5 inches right at 25 yards (well off!), to Zero at 40 Yards, without touching the turrets.

This means I do not need to replace my scope, which I would have had to with any other rings.

There are guides to adjustment, which I took the trouble of putting on my Laptop, for reference while zeroing, but having read them once or twice, I found I did not need any further reference.

Overall build quality is good, though my mounts did have a slight bluing flaw, which had no black on it at all.

At £33.95 from a mail order company, I am thoroughly impressed with these mounts and recommend them to anyone who wishes to mount an inch tube scope. Even though my scope was an issue, these mounts enable you to not crimp your scope tube and maintain full travel on your turrets, which is also better for your scope and for a steady reticle.

Check this guide out. Part 3 is the link, but it has links at the top to parts 1 and 2.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/...part-2_05.html

Cheers
    Last edited by Skeet; 18-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.
    Want a custom paint finish, or clear coat on your stock?

Mounts

I have had two sets of these and if treated carefully perform well. However they do suffer from one fault, the windage locking screws tighten against the thread of the windage adjuster screws, damaging the thread which in turn wrecks the threads in the ring bases. To avoid this you need to place something softer than steel in the holes which the locking screws wind into, I use 3mm garden strimmer line. Cut this into 2mm lengths and place in before the 4x locking screws are nipped up, this acts as a buffer and prevents thread damage.

Mike

I had wondered about this, nice solution.
    Want a custom paint finish, or clear coat on your stock?