Thread: Idiots guide to classic airgun strips (pt 1)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

An idiots guide to Bsa mercury strip (pt2)

The piston head is held onto the rod sticking out of the top of the piston by a small pin. Remove this pin and the head and buffer washer (or its remains) should come off. The seal is an "o" ring. Im not sure if some of the Mercury,s had a plastic head like some Airsporters, which spreads and goes tight in the cylinder and requires sanding down. T20 (Mick) told me he has omitted the buffer washer and cut its thickness off the rod at the top of the piston and then redrilled the pin hole BUT ADVISES the increse in swept volume could push the gun over the limit. The old washer will be knackered and need replacing if you dont do this mod. Clean and lube. Place buffer on piston head and head on piston rod and replace the pin that holds it.See if trigger block screw up ok and if not, adjust the big nut in the trigger housing till it lines up just right and then remove again.Replace mainspring and guide and screw home trigger block (I put breech down on piece of cardboard on a piece of wood to enable both hands to be used in turning). Change breech seal. Place barrel in breech jaws, replace plunger and spring and push barrel pivot pin through. Replace cocking arm and pin. Fit action in stock. tighten screws and then replace the sights.

I recently put one together that would not cock. It turned out that someone had fitted a bigger washer on the guide so it sat on the thread bit of the trigger block and not in it. I've been told the correct OD is 23.8mm
    Last edited by ggggr; 24-12-2020 at 11:10 AM.