Thread: Idiots guide to classic airgun strips (pt 1)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

An idiots guide to Bsa Merlin strip (pt1)

I dug the Merlin out of a box. I intended to strip, varnish and spray it with placticote when I move, but the Idiots guide got the better of me. I dont really know how to describe the strip and the Chambers page isnt much use but here goes.Take out loading tap and put in safe place!
    Undo and remove front two stock screws and the one at the rear of the trigger guard (its like a woodscrew as it goes into plastic end cap). As you lift action out of stock, the sliding plate attached to the cocking lever will slide backwards until action can be lifted out. On mine the trigger guard came up and out with the gun, but it may well remain in place. The end cap slides out of the rear of cylinder with the trigger spring (note how the spring sits in recess in plastic). The trigger then slides out of cylinder. If you remove the cocking lever pivot pin (WATCH OUT FOR THE SPRING THAT SITS IN THE MIDDLE) then all the cocking lever stuff can be removed. THere is a pointy bit of thin steel that is the safety, which sits between the cocking lever, with the pointy bit facing forwards. There didnt seem any point in stripping that further so I just put a bit of GN paste and LT2 round it. To remove the mainspring and piston, you have to remove the funny spring clip at the rear of the cylinder that this gun has instead of a pin. GO TO NEXT POST.
    Last edited by ggggr; 03-07-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: MISTAKE