Thread: Idiots guide to classic airgun strips (pt 1)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Tell 2 pistol stripdown (pt2)

Now you have all your clean and lubed bits you can put them back together. Put the leather buffer washer into the cylinder and push it down to the end. I inserted the other leather washer into the piston and pushed that down. I pushed the barrel through it a few times to make it easier for when the barrel goes back in. Slide the piston into the cylinder and push it right down. Get the cocking arm and slide the bit that goes into the grip frame in far enough so you can locate the small cocking link into the slot in the cylinder. Once it is in, locate the cocking arm and pin in the grip frame. There is enough space to wangle the trigger and trigger spring into place. The trigger spring locates in a small hole in the frame. Locate the trigger pivot pin. Slide your mainspring onto the barrel and endcap, with the foresight just left of centre as you look from the front of the gun. You should now be able to compress the spring and locate the barrel through the washer in the piston. IF YOU CANNOT,try it without the mainspring to open up the leather washer in the piston again first.
    With the barrel located and spring compressed, the endcap should locate with a slight clockwise twist. Get the right grip with the screw through it and place it at it's hole on the frame. Locate the locking bar and spacer and then push the screw through. Fit left grip and nut and that is all done apart from the breech washer. If you think it is worn, just make up a small disc and replace it. It sits in a hole on the plate at the back. My gun was not seating and sealing properly even after fitting a new washer. It was blowing air out of the top of the plate. I did not want to try to heat and bend the plate so tried a thin leather washer, then a plastic washer with a hole in the centre for the breech seal to go through. The gun would not lock up like this. I Eventually made a paper gasket to go on the plate and that has cured the leak for now. I dont know if very thin shim steel or similar would work.
    The gun now cocks,holds and fires. It is low on power and the accuracy is not great. I think maybe accuracy could be improved slightly by fitting washers (steel or plastic) that fitted the barrel OD and the cylinder and piston ID, with the cylinder buffer washer and the leather washer in the piston. Pellets were tight in my barrel and maybe a clean with a brass brush might help. Light wadcutters will probably shoot better although sizing pellets first helps as well.
    It is a very small pistol. If you are a collector and you dont have one, then buy one. If you like plinking, there are better older guns to try. There are no spares for these guns so if the piston wears you would have to get one built up or turned up. A fairly solid little gun but other than buying this one so I could do the stripdown, I would not be looking for another.
    Last edited by ggggr; 28-03-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"