Thread: Idiots guide to classic airgun strips (pt 1)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

An idiots guide to Webley junior mk2 strip

I have never done an early junior--Only the mk2 I bought off here a few months back that my nephew now owns. Remove grips and rearsight. Unscrew barrel catch screw and remove(watching for plunger + spring). There are only two trigger pins which require a 3/32 pin punch. Remove the rear one and the trigger should come out. Remove second and sear and its spring should come out. Unscrew the barrel pivot screw. I used the barrel pivot to unscrew the cylinder end plug----------but only do this if it comes easily---otherwise use something else! Remove mainspring. Cocking arm should lift out of the slot. Withdraw piston (sometimes on Webley pistols these are tight on the ptfe washer and you may need to drift it with a bit of dowel or similar). The one I saw had a screw on ptfe washer. Chances are if the piston was tight coming out then the washer is okay and wont need changing. With everything out of the way,its easiest to change breech washer now, with rounded side facing barrel. I usually wipe with grease and use side of small screw driver and then push barrel onto wsher to seat firmly. Clean and lube. Replace piston and mainspring and screw on endcap. Locate cocking link in slot and line up barrel and replace pivot pin. Replace sear and spring and line up and replace pin. Replace trigger and screw. Replace barrel catch (dont forget plunger + spring) and pin and then rear sight and grips. ONE OF THE BEST TO START ON. CHEERS GARETH---THIS IS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THE EARLY JUNIOR APART FROM THE BARREL CATCH AND A LEATHER PISTON WASHER.

Just a bit of additional info. When someone was asking about being able to reface a worn sear ------------"Ref Webley Jnr sears; as far as I'm aware, they're high carbon and cyanide hardened; not sure how deep that penetrates but once they wear they seem to ''profile'' to the piston really quicky. They can be ground easily but I'm not sure how much hardness would be retained and so how long they'd last or even be safe.
    For a gun that's going to be used I'd agree a new sear is the way to go. "

Additional information. Regards to the piston washer screw on a Junior "Junior piston washer screw only shows one size, R/H; 0.205" X 30tpi whit form. "
    Last edited by ggggr; 01-02-2024 at 03:24 PM. Reason: ADDING about sear wear