Thread: Idiots guide to classic airgun strips (pt 1)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Idiots guide to Baikal IJ 38 strip (pt1)

I reckon these are really well made.The cocking arms push onto a boss on the underside of the piston (like a B2 but better). Ive seen two of them so far,one had no scope rails but had a piston weight/guide in the piston and the other had rails but no weight/guide. Undo and remove two front stock screws and the one in front of the trigger guard and remove action from stock. Undo lock screw for barrel pivot and barrel pivot and remove. Remove barrel and cocking arm from cylinder but watch out that the barrel release catch and its spring dont fall off. You can remove catch and spring to lubricate. On mine the spring was a little short so I used a small screw down it as a spacer. If you want to get at the barrel plunger and spring, knock out the pin at the front of the cylinder. I will assume you will do that now and replace it. Knock the pin out from the rear of the cylinder and then place cylinder with the breech end down onto a piece of wood. If you now push onto the cylinder end cap and turn anti clockwise about 3/16 of an inch it will free the pin that locates on a recess in the cylinder and you should be able to release pressure.(I have seen a pin that has been knocked into the trigger housing. You can knock it further and it should drop out and you can replace it in the hole. Otherwise a small pin could be fitted if it is missing) Guide, spring, weight/front guide (if fitted )and piston shoul now all come out. Go to pt 2.

EDIT----Ive recently seen one of these that was different to others Ive seen. It had no barrel catch and the breech seal was on the end of the cylinder and not on the barrel. Stock screws were crossheads instead of slots. It had scope rails and the guide looked a little different to the others I've seen.

Another EDIT. It seems that up to the late 80's they still had the barrel catch as someone recently said

"A friend of mine used to work at a place called Country Skittles near Townshend in Cornwall in the mid 1990's, where one of his jobs was operating an air rifle target range.

The guns used were Baikal IJ38's, but these were the version without the thumb latch and with a seal in the standing breech face rather than on the barrel, the stocks were wood although had a slightly different shape without any schnabel style tip on the fore-end.

I believe these were a later version of the IJ38, as I had bought one a few years earlier (late 1980's) that had the thumb latch to break the barrel. "
    Last edited by ggggr; 30-12-2020 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Another EDIT