Thread: Idiots guide to classic airgun strips (pt 1)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Relum Tempest (break barrel pistol) strip pt1

I finally got my hands on one of these and decided to strip it tonight. I am stuck for a barrel pivot lock nut and have asked on of the bbs good guys to help out.
    This is a basic pistol and oddly seems to share no parts with the Relum Hurricane underlever pistol

The is a big screw that passes through the pistol grip. If you undo that, the action will lift out of the grip.
    With the action out, you can tap the trigger pivot pin out of the housing and remove the trigger. Do the same with the sear pin and slide that out the back of the housing, watching out for a sneaky little coil spring (mine didn't have one but I found something suitable when I put the gun back together) that sits between the underside of the sear and the trigger housing. There is what appears to be a 3mm trigger adjusting screw in a lug, if you want to clean and lube that.
    Knock the cylinder end pin out and remove the endcap and mainspring. There didn't seem to be a lot of pressure but I am not sure it is the right mainspring.
    Undo the barrel pivot lock nut (if your pistol has one, unlike mine). and remove the breech block from the jaws. You should now be able to push the cocking arm backwards in the cylinder until it will lift free (like a BSA Cadet or Major). The piston can be slid out now.
    If you want to clean and lube the barrel catch plunger, knock the little pin holding it out and remove, clean, lube, replace now.
    It is interesting to note that your barrel may slide out of the breech block as is seems to be secured by the barrel pivot bolt. If it bothers you, a little thread lock could be used I suppose.
    I didn't remove the little grub screw on the underside of the cylinder that hold another plunger as I did not think it was worth doing.

The piston has a leather piston washer held on by an aluminium rivet. It was a bit loose so I spread the rivet a bit.
    Clean everything and go to pt2
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Relum Tempest (break barrel pistol) strip pt2

With everything cleaned and lubed, place the piston into the cylinder. You will then have to slide the cocking arm through the trigger housing until it drops into the cylinder and piston and then pull it towards the front on the gun. Locate the breech block in the jaws and replace the pivot screw and lock nut.
    You can replace the mainspring, endcap and cylinder end pin now.
    Locate the trigger in the housing and locate its pin. Place the sear spring in the recess in the sear and slide the sear into the housing and then compress the spring a little to enable it to go into the housing. Replace the pivot pin.
    Put the action into the grip and replace the big screw through the grip.

My gun needs a new mainspring as the old one is very tired.
    I have not plinked with the pistol yet, other than 2 shots when I got it. The rear sight is a bit like a BSA cadet type, that is not adjustable for elevation. This is different to the spring steel one in the gun that was featured in the March 2016 AGW.

I still find it odd that the break barrel and the underlever share no parts. Even the shoulder stocks are different in length, width and shape.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"