Thread: Idiots guide to classic airgun strips (pt 1)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

An idiots guide to Bsa Merlin strip (pt2)

I assume there must be a special tool to do this and a big lump of round bar might help. A spare pair of helping hands would make it easier as well. I pushed down on the clip ans then flicked the bits that locate in the slots on the side of the cylinder out with a small screwdriver. Once out, release pressure and remove clip,gide,spring and piston. You will see a small serrated flatbar pin at the front of the piston. Tap this out with a punch and piston head will come off and you can change buffer and washer. (this piston head set up is a bit like the Mercury with flatbar instead of a round pin BUT the buffer material seems better than the later neoprene material). Clean and lube. Replace piston head and secure with pin. Replace piston, mainspring and guide and try to replace the spring clip. I tried to just close it slightly so it would enter cylinder and open up once in place. Replace cocking linkage and safety (remembering the spring in the middle). The safety is a bit of thin steel with a pointy end and a flat end. It sits with the pointy bit upwards and faces the front of the gun The spring seems to sit best with the open ends to the top and the closed end to the bottom. I am fairly sure you can leave the safety plate out and just use the spring (I'm sure I used mine like that before fitting the safety) .Replace trigger in cylinder and then put trigger spring into endcap and slide into cylinder ensuring spring locates behind trigger. I put the trigger guard into the stock and then slid the action in. Tighten the 3 scews and replace loading tap. This gun had a lot of paint in the cylinder and responded really well to a clean and lube. It is quite punchy for its size and a fun plinker.

UPDATE---I've seen 4 MK2 versions of these now and 3 different types of trigger spring. One of them has a double hook coil spring that hooks onto the safety sear spring and a hole at the front of the trigger. The other 2 have either a flat or round wire spring that goes behind the trigger. I've also seen both types of trigger guard on these.
    Also I forgot to mention about the transporter (the tap thing) washer, base and spring (little bent washer). The base is a round metal thing with a spiggot on it that the washer sites on and they sit in the cylinder end along with the transporter spring. If you are replacing these, the transporter spring goes into the hole at the end of the cylinder with the point end facing outwards and then the metal side of the transporter base goes on top of that with the washer facing the transporter (tap).
    Last edited by ggggr; 20-07-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: adding about trigger springs