Thread: How many Western-style Shooters on the Forum?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

How many Western-style Shooters on the Forum?

What you call British Western Shooting Society style: in the US, it's mostly Single Action Shooting Society (SASS).

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Me - I'm one that's from 'The Dark Side'

Cheers

Roy

Shoulders guns too?

Roy,

Do you shoot the Holy Black in your Cowboy rifle and shotgun too, or just in your revolvers?

My wife and I used to shoot CAS / SASS but stopped because of lack of time, and too much distance to the range. I hope I can get back to it some day, though.

If and when, I'd like to shoot BP cartridge in the shoulder pieces, and either BP cartridge or cap and ball - maybe both - in my revolvers.

Cheers!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim

I tried BP in both the levergun & a side/side shotgun - it was fun playing with the loads

If I could get more chance to shoot full CAS comps over here I would invest more time & may even go dedicated on the levergun.

Until then - I'm just playing at it for the fun really !

I shot in a CAS/SASS shoot as a guest in Ohio when I was over there - if only we could generate that much interest in CAS over here - it was a great day !

The guy I shot with was a rider & mainly took part in shooting (45 Long Colt pistol) from horseback - I ride & shoot - but not sure I want to put both together if you know what I mean !

This sort of thing http://www.texasshootinghorses.com/P...hoto%20Gallery

All the best

Roy

Last edited by harricook; 22-06-2009 at 02:34 PM.

I don't ride - did as a kid, though - but have done a fun shoot from a buckboard, busting balloons with a .45 revolver loaded with fine shot.

It was actually a bit tougher than it sounds: more akin to breaking clay pigeons with a shotgun, except that your the one moving, while the target's stationary.

Jim

I have a Remmy BP revolver and both this and my 1894 Marlin in .45 Colt use true BP. DN Swiss powder if I can get it or even cheap old Kranks stuff. So dirty in comparison though But what more can you expect for the price of a ten bob note and a used fag packet?

Don't use either enough these days and to be honest my 'performance' with the Remmy even at 35 yds left a lot to be desired

Never shot a more action type layout such as SASS style events and also doubt whether either of our Lusitano's would put up with me blasting while on their back. They have a limit of Biriani.
    'I'm a rider at the gates of dawn and I take no prisoners' - Rik Mayall 1984
    Ex-Moonraker relocated to Sir Gar!

Cowboy action shooting isn't normally done from horseback or horsedrawn carts, Marlin. That was just a special fund-raising thing. The normal routine is just standing and shooting down range. Targets are big and close, but to win, you have to hit them all, or maybe with just one miss: but you have to do it FAST, becasue scoring is a combination of number of hits factored against elapsed time.

Jim