Thread: Why do we do it ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Excuse is the wrong word to use. None of us have to 'excuse' our conduct unless by purchasing another air rifle/motor cycle/fishing gear/cameras/lenses etc, they prejudice the finances of their families. The word that best describes that sort of person is 'idiot'.
    Moving on, air rifles are very like cameras in my mind. Provided you can easily afford it the ideal is to have a different rifles for different purposes. Precharge backed up by self contained and so on. Also my choice is very different if I have a FAC or not.
    If all my shooting gear was stolen or destroyed I think I would like the following air rifles..
    1. FAC precharged hunting rifle-almost certainly a .25 regulated Rapid.
    2. Back up FAC hunting self contained rifle-a .22 HW80.
    3.Club/competition .177 precharge-choice is very wide.
    4.Club/competition self contained-probably a .177 tuned HW97 or AA TX something like that.

If I didn't have a FAC I think I would pick a .20 Rapid/HW80 back up for hunting and the same .177 target rifles as detailed above.

Only one rifle? Really difficult and I'm glad I don't have to limit myself in that way.
    If I did? OK, .20 HW80.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Well, i think it's a bit of an addiction and after buying a .22 B2 to show the Mrs how to shoot, i have gone and bought myself;

.22 HW90
    .177 XS-78
    and hopefully picking up an XS-79 at the weekend too!

I was only meant to be introducing it to the Mrs as a hobby for her to take up, thinking that i had done all my shooting in my early years and got the bug really fast!

I justify mine like this;

HW 90, never gonna break and a cracking piece of hunting kit that has had more rabbits that i can remember!

XS-78, It came up at a price that i couldn't turn down so i bought it for a bit of a play around with and see how i could get along with a .177

XS-79, Also came along at the right price and i plan on using it as my main (summer) hunter.

I think that just about does it, well, the Mrs buys that anyway.
    .22 HW90, BSA Jaguar 3-12x56IR scope.
    .177 SMK XS-78, .22 SMK XS-79.
    BASC member.