Thread: how to teach an 8 year old to shoot.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

how to teach an 8 year old to shoot.

Ever since going to open day at Worcester norton my son has been wishing to shoot-safely. He has used my S410 prone under supervision shooting knockdowns at 10 yds but stock and gun too big and have to help him support gun. Have you any advice- keen to encourage but would be interested i how anyone else has brought on a keen 8 year old. What guns would you rcommend for a young shooter to use-how does the law apply to such situations?
    aa S410, MTC Mamba 4-16 x 50

Youngster must be supervised.

A good gun that a young lad in my old club learnt on was the AA S200. Accurate gun, and not too big. I think he may have had a little bit taken of the butt of the stock though, to help him out.

Ali-C is offline It looks so pretty burning
    The Brocock Contour is a small, lightweight gun, not many shots per charge, but it should do the job for a little 'un.
    Quote Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
    Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss

what about a ratcatcher? very small and light and cheap as chips, great as a starter for someone young. the only problem is you have to keep buying c02 capsules and not full power. another alternative could be the bsa ultra? another small and light pcp.

The ultra is a cracking rifle but is difficult for a little 'un to cock. The s200 is still quite heavy and will be too long for an 8 year old. the Brocock again, although compact and light, still has a stock designed for adult reach. The only real option is to buy something second hand and find someone who can chop a section out of the stock. If it's done right then the section can be added again later if selling or if your son grows. I had a BSA ultra for the combo fund that had a section chopped from the stock and that made the rifle a perfect fit for the 10 year old it went to.

oh, the ratcatcher is also designed with an adult reach.

Actually just remembered, i have a BSA ultra stock that Kieran T stripped for me. It's stood in the garage gathering dust. If you go for an ultra then let me know and i'll get someone to take a section out of the stock and refit the but pad, you can have it for nowt

Edit, best advice is look for a local club and take him there.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Feral is offline One of my mil dots is missing
    I had an ultra for my boy, was impossible for him to cock, also had a falcon. We eventually settled on an S200 (The brocock wasn't around then and also shot count is low for a full HFT round)

I've cut the back off and not taken the silencer off, works a treat for him and he's quite a small 9 year old... still kicks some adult butt at the comps though

Here it is when I first blinged it up at full length

Here is is cut down and short enough for him to use comfortably

I've kept the piece I took out but will probably just by a custom stock once we're back to full length (or pass it on to another junior at the club)
    Walther dominator Lightstream FFP, s200 with Viper 10x44 - Buxted HFT My A4 Targets - HFT Kill zone sizes