Thread: Zero in an HW45 .22

Zero in an HW45 .22

HI there please can you give me the best advice on how to zero in a .22 cal HW45? im not sure if i should rest it, or hold it as steady as poss and the best distance for general plinking 5-20 yards. I have zerod it in as best i can, and can hit coke cans at about 20yards, but if i shoot at targets im all over the shop! I know its me, and more practise, but im not even sure of the guns true POI due to the recoil etc! If it was co2 no probs, but the recoil is new to me with zeroing in on a pistol!

Thanks

Rich.
    You tube channel bassmanrich44 2000 subscribers and counting! 5000 now

Best way is definately NOT on a rest. The recoil on this gun will have you shooting over your backstop.

I found the best grip is, assuming right handed, pistol in right hand with with most of the pressure of your grip on the second and third fingers and your thumb should end up resting along the top of the grip pointing toward the target. Not so tight as your fingers go white, should be firm but relaxed, like a handshake.

Left hand all 4 fingers cupping your lower 3 fingers over the grip with the palm thumbb pad against the grip and your thumb in front of the right hand thumb pointing toward target. The thumbs line up along the 'slide'. Again not too tight.

Face head on to your target, not side on, both arms extended in front of you.

If you do want to shoot off a rest like sitting at a bench for example, you can rest your left arm on the rest for stability.

Theres a youtube vid of a guy shooting real Colt 1911s this way and it definately works on the HW45 too.

Probably a name for this but i dont know what it is...

Cheers
    Stot
    Guns: SLR98 - Phoenix - Ultra - HW45 - P800
    Chronographing: www.chronoconnect.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stot View Post

Probably a name for this but i dont know what it is...

Cheers
    Stot

Isosceles Stance.

Good advise by Stot.

As he said grip is everything, I hold mine with the same strength as if I were driving a tack in with a small hammer.

Now git out there and practice, practice, practice

Good luck, Phil

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    You will get a significant change in impact point if you change your hold.
    Sight in with the hold you intend to shoot with.
    Full bore pistol technique works well.
    If you can get hold of a copy of the US Army Pistol Markmanship manual then that will give you excellent guidance,
    Regards,
    Nick

i Think i know what i was doing wrong. I was holding the gun too lose as i thought that you had to let the gun do its own thing. Dont get me wrong, it was'nt danging (the gun) but not firm enough grip. What i did was followed Stots advice and strait away the group closed up by lots! (thanks) then i zero'd it in to the grip, now hitting pretty much what im aiming at, but moved in at just 7yards to start. Its one thing hitting coke cans or pellet tins, but trying to group on paper with a spinger pistol is something else. But the springers seem to have life, like the spring rifles, albeit much harder to group well.

Thanks Guys.
    You tube channel bassmanrich44 2000 subscribers and counting! 5000 now

This is worth an overview look

http://www.corneredcat.com/Basics/stance.aspx

and this for sight pictures

http://www.corneredcat.com/Basics/alignment.aspx

Good luck, Phil

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Some great stuff there, Phil, thanks!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The single handed target stance shown on the Cornered Cat site is very poor, the free hand should always be tucked into the back of the belt or a pocket, a dangling an arm is a recipe for inconsistent results
    Nick

Phil

Thanks for the links, the explantions of how the stances, body and arms counter recoil is really easy to understand from a novice point of view.

Looking forward to trying each stance to see what works best for me in terms of accuracy as variation can remove the frustration when practicing

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by ddixon View Post
    Phil

Thanks for the links, the explantions of how the stances, body and arms counter recoil is really easy to understand from a novice point of view.

Looking forward to trying each stance to see what works best for me in terms of accuracy as variation can remove the frustration when practicing

Darren

Hi Darren, glad the links proved worthwhile. Seen your bio'

Just coming back to the hobby of shooting after 20 years, want to test my eyesight and acuracy via pistols before moving back to rifles

Now, you don't wanna go playing with them there long pointy things.

Good luck, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Hi Darren, glad the links proved worthwhile. Seen your bio'

Just coming back to the hobby of shooting after 20 years, want to test my eyesight and acuracy via pistols before moving back to rifles

Now, you don't wanna go playing with them there long pointy things.

Good luck, Phil
    Cheers, but don't worry I can always tape a sponge to the end

Darren