Thread: Simmons ProHunter 6-24x44 SideFocus Mildot

Simmons ProHunter 6-24x44 SideFocus Mildot

Does or has anyone owned one of these? I need some opinions.
    Now I know they're the ultra cheap end of the market and won't perform like scopes that I'm used to - but the truth is I'm skint, my hmr is scope-less at the moment and I have the chance at one at a silly price.
    What are the reticles like? If they're huge 'milblobs', I won't bother. Same as the light gathering? Again, I know it's not going to be akin to Zeiss - but if it's more akin to a 4x15 3/4 inch tube job, i'll keep the few quid I'm prepared to shell out in my pocket and save it for a decent optic.

All experienced replies welcome.

Many thanks - Craig

( Copied from FAC section, thought I may get other opinions from here too )
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

OK, will it be usable? Yes. But so will something like a Hawke Varmint, or even a fleabay Tasco.

Here's my take on it.

The reticle is not very subtle, but usable.

The sunshade does not fit! The fact it does not, while not a big deal in itself, just tells you how much care and attention may have been expended elsewhere... It will fit if the threads are sanded however but that's not the point is it.

The zoom "ring" (although more cam-shaped in reality) is rubber coated and looks VERY cheap and nasty, even though function is unaffected. Quite obvious really as rubber can't hold detail or sharp edges. Who knows how long the rubber will last before it hardens and cracks with body oils?

The side focus knob, has no distance graduations, only silly circles of varying sizes. But the knob itself has a rubber grip-ring, this is (very poorly) adhesived in its slot, and came off in places so attempting to focus results in the rubber ring part-rotating and stretching (coz its not come off all the way round yet..)

The script detailing the make model and mag, looks VERY cheap and tackily applied too.

Quite frankly this scope was the biggest disappointment I have every had because I could have spent even less money yet got a far better finished item.

Nevertheless I can fix the focus knob issue and have sorted the sunshade so I guess I can live with it. The one remarkable thing about this scope is that it is quite compact for a 24x scope and also light.

If interested suggest you physically view before parting with your money and check the sunshade!
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Exactly the kind of reply I was looking for - thank you, mate.
    In all fairness, its only got to last until I can afford a 'proper' optic - but I've been offered a second hander by a mate of a mate and I was tempted as spec-wise, it ticks the boxes.
    However, I think i'll stick the money in a jar, keep the .17 'naked' in the cabinet and use the .22.

Thanks again, mate - Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation