Thread: H. the L.J. Airgun (valuation help Req)

H. the L.J. Airgun (valuation help Req)

Need some help with this one gents...i'll try & get pics up if someone will host them for me..& I will start a new for sale thread once i've got a fair idea what to ask..!

Its stamped on top of the smooth bore (brake) barrel...H.the L.J. Airgun...Its a third octagonal barrel & side button release like a Millita.Fixed non adjustable sights,42"s long & traces of what appears to be of it been Nickle plated originally?

It's got a straight hand (shotgun) style stock with VERY crisp chequering & stamped into the rear of the stock is...Lincoln Jefferies,121 Steelhouse Lane,Birmingham.& them the impressed figure of a man standing shooting with...Trade Mark underneath.

There are serial No's around the trigger block area.Some would call it's finish as a nice brown patina....can anyone help with its valuation..?Have you seen one sold....or indeed bought one?Any help appreciated.ATB,Chris.

PS.see pages 162/163 Hillers 4th edition Air rifles....

H the LJ Airgun

Hi Hwvixen
    I think what you have got there is a Milita.
    I have got a similar beast serial 13637 in .177 rifled.
    It was a gift, painted green and brown but as you say with a nickel plated air chamber. Someone has shortened the hand chequered stock by about 1.5" and and left just "Lincoln". Ive reblacked it, added my own home made sights in brass and now have a respectable looking 100 year old addition to my small collection.
    After all that sorry I have no idea of value.
    Regards
    Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

Thanks Dave,

I guessed it was based around the heavyweight Millita & assumed they were turn of the century (20th!) & that they had quite a long production run of maybe 40 years.Made by Langenham in Germany & imported into this country to be retailed as Millita's...often with the retailers stamps on the stocks & in this case Lincoln Jefferies

This one has really crisp chequering...so i'm guessing its not been used much...or more likely been "refreshed"...but where evere it was done...its good.

Are well..i'll wait till the evening anoracks log on tonight...

Chris....ANY PICS?!

I've Email'd some to Neil to host for me...but he probably wont have time to post them till later......Give me your Email addy (via pm) & i'll send you some bud.

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Pics
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Thank goodness for that...I was stuck on 666 posts...

I guess no one can help then...?I'll put it back under the bed then...for now..!

I would say that the price range of £90-£120 would be about right for this J Millitia type air rifle.
    I believe that Lincoln jeffries purchased these rifles from the importers, and improved on them in ways which then justified him putting his own name onto them. Improvements in sights were the obviuos one, with possible trigger jobs and refinishing of stocks etc. Club shooting was just taking off in the UK, so keen club marksmen were always after new ways to 'Give them the edge' over their rivals. Lincoln Jeffries were already established Shotgun Makers, so maybe they were responsible for re-doing the hand chequering on the stock.

All in all a very nice gun, however it is my belief tha the Lincoln Jeffries connection would only be of interest to dedicated LJ/BSA collectors. To most other people it is worth the same as a standard Millitia.Hence my valuation of £90-£120.

All the best

Lakey

Thanks Lakey,

Kinda guessed that kind of range myself...but it's worth more to me than that..if you know what I mean...?Not financially..but purely because of its age & history..so I guess this is one I may hang on to.It isn't the "prettyest" of airguns...but I like it..so my value would be over £150...

Thanks to anyone who bothered to contribute...

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Having read up on the subject I estimate it's worth between about £90 and £150+. HTH.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Thanks Lakey,

Kinda guessed that kind of range myself...but it's worth more to me than that..if you know what I mean...?Not financially..but purely because of its age & history..so I guess this is one I may hang on to.It isn't the "prettyest" of airguns...but I like it..so my value would be over £150...

Spot on. It would be worth a lot more than £90-£120 to me too

All the best

Lakey

Thanks guys...