Thread: Casting advice

Casting advice

New boy here again, now I need some advice on casting if anyone can help me. I bought the Lee kit for casting .577 bullets and followed the instructions to the letter, smoked the die, etc, but I am having some poor results. (I have the Lee book and have read it)

The problem seems to be that the metal doesn't flow exactly where it should and I end up with "flow lines" and sometimes small air pockets. ( I have pics but no idea how to post them)

Am I running the metal too hot? too cold? or is it likely to be mould temp or what? Appreciate it's difficult to advise when you can't see the results, I would be grateful for any help, even if the advice is only that I bought the wrong kit!

It's probably a combination of things. When I'm casting the first 10 or so castings are scrapped as the mould gets up to temp (Lee alloy moulds) and then it's just a case of getting into a rhythm and casting steadily, too slow and the mould cools, too fast and the bullets are still part molten when you are knocking them out.

You don't mention what you are melting the lead in, if it's a Lee bottom pour jobby, use a ladle instead of the pouring spout.

Are you fluxing the lead too? I use beeswax from a colleague who keeps bees.

Then practice, practice and do a bit more practice.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

casting

The lines in your cast bullets are from what is called cold lap the mould is not hot enough

Deershooter

Mould and lead not hot enough.

If you are ladle pouring - make sure thats hot too

My Lee 577 deep base minies and 457 ball are all useable from the first one.

I never smoke my moulds either - just scrupulously clean & make sure you flux the lead.

The only ones that go back in the pot are the ones I manage to dig out of the sand afterwards

Cheers

Roy

Casting help

Thanks guys, I am using the Lee pot and the pouring spout. I wan't sure if the mould was too hot or not hot enough. I'll try again with hotter lead and a hotter mould. I put in some Lee flux too, "flux ball about the size of a pea" was recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJW View Post
    Thanks guys, I am using the Lee pot and the pouring spout. I wan't sure if the mould was too hot or not hot enough. I'll try again with hotter lead and a hotter mould. I put in some Lee flux too, "flux ball about the size of a pea" was recommended.
    I find '7' on the Lee thermostat is about right on mine.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Yep I find 7-8 a good temp, lift the lever fully and dump the lead into the mold, don't trickle it. Always bright lead from the spout, don't ladle it off as it will oxidise again over the course of a pot.
    I also dip the corner of a cold mold into the lead for 10 seconds or so to warm up and after the 1st two or so its good to go.
    Cheers

New boy here again, now I need some advice on casting if anyone can help me. I bought the Lee kit for casting .577 bullets and followed the instructions to the letter, smoked the die, etc, but I am having some poor results. (I have the Lee book and have read it)

The problem seems to be that the metal doesn't flow exactly where it should and I end up with "flow lines" and sometimes small air pockets. ( I have pics but no idea how to post them)

Am I running the metal too hot? too cold? or is it likely to be mould temp or what? Appreciate it's difficult to advise when you can't see the results, I would be grateful for any help, even if the advice is only that I bought the wrong kit!
    Are you a member of http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

Its a superb casting forum. Loads of info and everyone is happy to offer help and advice. It covers Smelting,Casting and swaging. There are reviews on equipment molds ect.... Hope it helps

Casting advice

Thanks again, I have registered with the casting forum. I was using No 7 setting, I'll try 8 and see how it goes. I am also now pre-heating the die with a blowlamp!

Casting advice

Tried again yesterday with the setting for the pot on 8. Much better results but on one side of the bullet I have a sort of grey powder looking effect. I think this is me now getting the mould too hot - at least that's what the Lee book says.

Took the advice on fully opening the spout - spilled a lot of lead as I wasn't ready for how quick it comes out! I guess I just need to practice now, many thanks guys for the advice.

If you are getting a 'frosting' effect on the bullet it is too hot. For too cold as already mentioned, and what you have already found, you will get ripples in the cooling lead.

If you now have grey dust that sounds like oxidized lead and crud dropping from the casting pot?
    'I'm a rider at the gates of dawn and I take no prisoners' - Rik Mayall 1984
    Ex-Moonraker relocated to Sir Gar!

Tried again yesterday with the setting for the pot on 8. Much better results but on one side of the bullet I have a sort of grey powder looking effect. I think this is me now getting the mould too hot - at least that's what the Lee book says.

Took the advice on fully opening the spout - spilled a lot of lead as I wasn't ready for how quick it comes out! I guess I just need to practice now, many thanks guys for the advice.
    Hi Dave

Forgot to ask the obvious ...... you are using soft lead for your Minies ?

Roy

Casting advice

Hi,

I melted down a lot of round balls that I was given (wrong size for the pistol) and then bought some roofing lead from the local Jewsons. I was told it was pure lead but they may have been telling porkies.

Hi,

I melted down a lot of round balls that I was given (wrong size for the pistol) and then bought some roofing lead from the local Jewsons. I was told it was pure lead but they may have been telling porkies.
    Nope - sounds like your OK If you can mark it with your fingernail - I'd call it 'soft' !

Only reason I asked is that I have been doing some hard casting recently & they came out slightly frosty (whatever the temperature !)

Cheers

Roy