Thread: Chrony PC Interface Cable project.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Great idea

How about one of these with a very long lead and one for a combro both connected to a PC at the same time ?

Would be good to get muzzle energy and down range energy at the same time.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Workable with the board I originally got as it has 2 seperate channels, but you would need 2 free serial ports and be running 2 seperate instances of the software.

Probably be easier to make 2 cables and use 2 computers.

Cheers
    Stot
    Guns: SLR98 - Phoenix - Ultra - HW45 - P800
    Chronographing: www.chronoconnect.com

I've just had a quick play with serial to usb converters, they happily remap to whatever free com port you want so as soon as the level shifter comes through I'll marry them up and see if it works. (Chronys.exe detects it ok so fingers crossed)

(I have literally dozens of the serial-to-usb interface cables, so if this works I'll happily post them out to anyone who wants one for P&P charges)

Hi Guys,

If you do want a cable but cant be harrised with putting one together I could do...

3m Jack-Serial Cable for £14 + £2.89(max) recorded post.
    USB-Serial adapter + £2.50 works with Win 98/Se/ME/2000/XP,32bit/Vista,32bit (probably linux too).

I'd of course like to make a few at a time if theres interest, so let me know if you are interested.

Ill test the serial-usb with the software I have too see if it can be fooled into using high port numbers.

If not no bother.

Cheers
    Stot

sniper22 Guest
    im interested.

I'd be interested depending on the answer to the next question :
    does the F1 Chrony have the jack port?
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Yes the F1 does have the jack, thats what i have in pics in the original post.

On the software side, It will only recognisse ports 1 and 2 BUT most modern PCS have Com1 and Com3 taken if any so the USB-serial cable should be able to be set to com 2 and be used.

Cheers
    Stot

Excellent! I don't need the USB-serial though as I have a nice old Dell subnotebook with a serial port and I intend to hang onto it as the old RS232 is dying out in modern PCs.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius