Thread: MTC Cobra 3-9 x 50

Pilch is offline Yes, I'd say I'm fairly attractive...

MTC Cobra 3-9 x 50

This won't be a comprehensive review, but some might find it useful if they are after a budget scope.

I bought the MTC Cobra to go on my .22lr, I wanted something inexpensive that would be good enough for plinking and lamping.

Having already got Vipers I was hoping that the quality of them would be apparant in the Cobra.

I haven't been dissappointed. Despite being a lower end scope, the optics are very good. On full zoom and infinity parallax I can clearly see rabbits 300 yds away. Close up work is good too. Nicely spaced mildots round of the viewing nicely.

The focus ring is smooth, and you can lock it in place with a grub screw. The parrallax adjust smoothly as well.

If there is 1 gripe its that the parallax yardage bears no resemblence to the true distance. Using a Leica LRF rangefinder, on a distance of 35 yds the parallax reading showing just under 70 yds. On a ranged 100 yds the reading is nearly 200 yds. I am not really fussed by this but others may be if they like to rangefind with their scope.

All in all, for the money I think the Cobra is an excellent scope for the money, better than others I have seen in the same price range.

Hopefully this review will help someone decide if they just after a budget, no frills scope, but want some quality as well. They can get the Cobra with confidence.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram

Cavalier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hotelfoxtrot View Post
    This won't be a comprehensive review, but some might find it useful if they are after a budget scope.

I bought the MTC Cobra to go on my .22lr, I wanted something inexpensive that would be good enough for plinking and lamping.

Having already got Vipers I was hoping that the quality of them would be apparant in the Cobra.

I haven't been dissappointed. Despite being a lower end scope, the optics are very good. On full zoom and infinity parallax I can clearly see rabbits 300 yds away. Close up work is good too. Nicely spaced mildots round of the viewing nicely.

The focus ring is smooth, and you can lock it in place with a grub screw. The parrallax adjust smoothly as well.

If there is 1 gripe its that the parallax yardage bears no resemblence to the true distance. Using a Leica LRF rangefinder, on a distance of 35 yds the parallax reading showing just under 70 yds. On a ranged 100 yds the reading is nearly 200 yds. I am not really fussed by this but others may be if they like to rangefind with their scope.

All in all, for the money I think the Cobra is an excellent scope for the money, better than others I have seen in the same price range.

Hopefully this review will help someone decide if they just after a budget, no frills scope, but want some quality as well. They can get the Cobra with confidence.
    Nice review,
    I think the Cobra is a smart looking scope The yardage never seems to tally up very well on lower end scopes anyway, obviously there are going to be some exceptions to this but not many.