Thread: Airsporter ID

Airsporter ID

Hi Chaps,
    what was the last airsporter ever made and when was that? Did it have a pop up block to load the pellet? I only ask because a friend claims to have one but has no idea what it is. Of course these where before my time!!
    Thanks in advance.
    Carl

airsporter

Hi Carl
    The last Airsporter was the RB2 model
    RB standing for rotating breech, and this was also used on the BSA underlever Superstar model
    This breech design allows the shooter to feed/push the pellet into the breech
    The pop up breech that you mention was probably the BSA Merlin, a smaller and less powerful model than the Airsporter
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Thanks John,
    how much would it cost to buy the last airsporter? Are they commen as I've never seen one!

Rb2

Not common but they come up on here occasionally

They were an improvement in accuracy and power over the earlier tap loaders and the standard model has a very nicely shaped beech stock

Prices vary a lot dependent on condition (and calibre to a smaller extent)
    £180-£200 should buy a very nice .22 cal. but you could pay another £40-£50 for a mint example

There was also a longer stocked version that is one of the most attractive air rifles ever produced (IMO) but the price jumps up another £50+. This rifle is sought after. I'm still looking for a mint one
    John
    hold me back !!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Airsporter ID.

I have one (maybe the last sold from a British gunshop, letter from BSA verifying it) of the last made;
    RB2 .177 cal. WR s/no. 2001. Had approx 50 odd pellets through it and resides in a cabinet.

The last batch ever were exported out to the West Indies .

"Black"

Thanks for the information, what year did all this happen? I've had an airsporter before but did'nt like the tap loading idea. I only started airgunning in the late 70s and would nt have had the funds to even dare look at an airsporter back then!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post

There was also a longer stocked version that is one of the most attractive air rifles ever produced (IMO) but the price jumps up another £50+. This rifle is sought after. I'm still looking for a mint one
    John
    Like this http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...flex3-9x40.jpg

Now that IS an amazing rifle! I want one.

Smile

Hi Carl

it got me thinking about the 'pop up breech' i have a gamo stutzen that 'pops up' when cocked, now seeing as gamo own BSA, could your mate be mixing up the two??

here's the gamo which i bought new from our sponsors a couple of years ago..

>>>Gamo Stutzen<<<

>>>Gamo again<<<

>>>BSA Stutzen<<<

>>>BSA again<<<

none of the beezers had a pop up breech, as already said some had the rotary breech....

by the way, the beesas were a much better and more solid rifle than the gamo

regards, john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I will ask him at the weekend-the rifles look similar! My friend is'nt really into airguns at all so it could be that the rifle is a gamo! Still its a good looking gun but an airsporter would be better. More often than not he finds westlakes! So anything is going to be an improvement.
    Thanks-copied your pics by the way-they are excellent.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Airsporter ID.

There are two basic Stutzens but there were slight stock variations at the time.

The earliest had the Lincoln Jeffries designed "Tap Loader" as were all the early Airsporters and many BSA air rifles previous.
    The last Stutzens had the Rolling Breech hence RB2 and were manufactured right up to 2000 and maybe into 2001.
    These models also had a safety catch quite unlike most Airsporters.

For a mint condition of either and I mean "Mint", you're looking at £400 to £500. I sold a "Sub Minter" six years ago for £250 private. It was really nice though !
    Find one with the box and associated paperwork and you could be looking at more !

"Black"

Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    I will ask him at the weekend-the rifles look similar! My friend is'nt really into airguns at all so it could be that the rifle is a gamo! Still its a good looking gun but an airsporter would be better. More often than not he finds westlakes! So anything is going to be an improvement.
    Thanks-copied your pics by the way-they are excellent.

carl

have a look at my other vintage guns in flickr, there's a link at the bottom of my posts

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/