Thread: Virgin HFTer Looking For Coaching

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Virgin HFTer Looking For Coaching

Okay, first, and before the sceptics (or should that read septics ) get to work, this is genuine. Have never shot HFT . Shot FT and quite liked it, have done several rim fire disciplines, but was shown around the HFT course at my club (Springfields) the other week, and it has been churning over and over in my head ever since, that I may quite like to give HFT a go (big attraction for me being a x12 mag max scope rule, because as a regular hunter, I don't get on with shooting much above x14 mag anyway).

I also like the idea of rolling around in mud (but that's a different story ). I am attending Springfield's and M.A.D.'s double header this weekend as a spectator (couple of hours at each with a bit of luck), which I am thoroughly looking forward to (and a beer with the big man for his birthday), but won't be competing as (a) won't have time, and (b) want to at least learn the basics before I have a go. To this end then, how would a novice like me go about learning the basics in prep for having a go? I assume watching at the weekend will be a start, but are there any DVDs that can be recommended, and/or do any clubs offer tuition weekends as they used to in the early days of FT?

Speaking by p-m with rogb has also reinforced my wanting to have a go at HFT, as he like me, is a springer man (my only p.c.p. is an S400 Xtra on ticket running @ 32ft.lb, so is not strictly suitable ), and I would want to use either my ProSport (.177), my Evolution (.177), or HW35K Jubilee (.22) when/if I have a go, so in the opinion of you lot who know far more about it than me (which ain't hard), which of my aforementioned rifles would best suit HFT? Thank you in anticipation of all/any help as all/any information will be gratefully received (even if it is garnished with takin' the Michael ). Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 01-07-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: coz I can :-)

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.