Thread: Virgin HFTer Looking For Coaching

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Virgin HFTer Looking For Coaching

Okay, first, and before the sceptics (or should that read septics ) get to work, this is genuine. Have never shot HFT . Shot FT and quite liked it, have done several rim fire disciplines, but was shown around the HFT course at my club (Springfields) the other week, and it has been churning over and over in my head ever since, that I may quite like to give HFT a go (big attraction for me being a x12 mag max scope rule, because as a regular hunter, I don't get on with shooting much above x14 mag anyway).

I also like the idea of rolling around in mud (but that's a different story ). I am attending Springfield's and M.A.D.'s double header this weekend as a spectator (couple of hours at each with a bit of luck), which I am thoroughly looking forward to (and a beer with the big man for his birthday), but won't be competing as (a) won't have time, and (b) want to at least learn the basics before I have a go. To this end then, how would a novice like me go about learning the basics in prep for having a go? I assume watching at the weekend will be a start, but are there any DVDs that can be recommended, and/or do any clubs offer tuition weekends as they used to in the early days of FT?

Speaking by p-m with rogb has also reinforced my wanting to have a go at HFT, as he like me, is a springer man (my only p.c.p. is an S400 Xtra on ticket running @ 32ft.lb, so is not strictly suitable ), and I would want to use either my ProSport (.177), my Evolution (.177), or HW35K Jubilee (.22) when/if I have a go, so in the opinion of you lot who know far more about it than me (which ain't hard), which of my aforementioned rifles would best suit HFT? Thank you in anticipation of all/any help as all/any information will be gratefully received (even if it is garnished with takin' the Michael ). Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 01-07-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: coz I can :-)

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

hi gareth.
    glad to hear youre coming to springfield and mad this weekend. at mad we offer free tuition from our qualified instructors and i can video you being instructed if you like and rip it onto dvd for you!! we also have club trainer rifles for you to borrow if that stutzen thing isnt up to the job?
    atb
    rich.
    M.A.D FOR IT!

In person

wow Gareth in the flesh ,no throwing buns at him at MALDON please,as hes only doing his best, so I;m told
    Ian
    [Ian Bainbridge]

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy View Post
    glad to hear youre coming to springfield and mad this weekend. at mad we offer free tuition from our qualified instructors and i can video you being instructed if you like and rip it onto dvd for you!! we also have club trainer rifles for you to borrow if that stutzen thing isnt up to the job?
    Ha ha . Hi Rich, cheers. Still a question mark over if I can make Springfields due to work etc, but yes, looking forward to a few hours at M.A.D. on Sunday, and I am very interested in exploring the tuition thing and look forward to seeing you again at the weekend, and having a chat about possibly taking you up on that, as it does sound good , and ...

Quote Originally Posted by popsheep View Post
    wow Gareth in the flesh ,no throwing buns at him at MALDON please, as hes only doing his best, so I;m told
    Hi Ian, and yes I am doing my best ... And if you do throw any buns, can you make sure they are nice fresh ones please, as am likely to be a bit peckish, so no stale salmonella cast offs from some dodgy old cafe if you don't mind

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    Gareth, you need to get down to Sussex, where real men (and women) shoot, at some of the clubs you can roll in stuff other than mud.
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

bun throwing

I sang at the last two Gatherings [UKAHFT] the donuts they through were very tastie and I have had a cafe for 20 years so beware of the food shack at MAD for I also do the cooking.
    Ian
    [Ian Bainbridge]

I have had a cafe for 20 years so beware of the food shack at MAD for I also do the cooking.
    I know, that's why I made the pun about the bun ... Maybe I'll bring sandwiches ... Ha ha. Joking to one side however, heard your food is top draw, so lookin' forward to samplin' some, and ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Gareth, you need to get down to Sussex, where real men (and women) shoot, at some of the clubs you can roll in stuff other than mud.
    Ha ha. Hi again mate. Yep, once blooded, have already told David a weekend down your way, at some point, would be good, so let’s see how long it takes Dopper to bring me up to speed once I enter the learning curve . Atb: G.

I sang at the last two Gatherings [UKAHFT] the donuts they through were very tastie and I have had a cafe for 20 years so beware of the food shack at MAD for I also do the cooking.
    Ian
    Dunno about his cooking but he is an expert on these LOL, only kidding Ian rustles up a mean burger

wow Gareth in the flesh ,no throwing buns at him at MALDON please,as hes only doing his best, so I;m told
    Ian
    I would enjoy watching what happens if you throw anything at Gareth
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Okay, first, and before the sceptics (or should that read septics ) get to work, this is genuine. Have never shot HFT . Shot FT and quite liked it, have done several rim fire disciplines, but was shown around the HFT course at my club (Springfields) the other week, and it has been churning over and over in my head ever since, that I may quite like to give HFT a go (big attraction for me being a x12 mag max scope rule, because as a regular hunter, I don't get on with shooting much above x14 mag anyway).

I also like the idea of rolling around in mud (but that's a different story ). I am attending Springfield's and M.A.D.'s double header this weekend as a spectator (couple of hours at each with a bit of luck), which I am thoroughly looking forward to (and a beer with the big man for his birthday), but won't be competing as (a) won't have time, and (b) want to at least learn the basics before I have a go. To this end then, how would a novice like me go about learning the basics in prep for having a go? I assume watching at the weekend will be a start, but are there any DVDs that can be recommended, and/or do any clubs offer tuition weekends as they used to in the early days of FT?

Speaking by p-m with rogb has also reinforced my wanting to have a go at HFT, as he like me, is a springer man (my only p.c.p. is an S400 Xtra on ticket running @ 32ft.lb, so is not strictly suitable ), and I would want to use either my ProSport (.177), my Evolution (.177), or HW35K Jubilee (.22) when/if I have a go, so in the opinion of you lot who know far more about it than me (which ain't hard), which of my aforementioned rifles would best suit HFT? Thank you in anticipation of all/any help as all/any information will be gratefully received (even if it is garnished with takin' the Michael ). Atb: G.

I was going to say get on Shooting the Breeze but haven't got my piss taking head on yet! If you're shooting at the weekend listen very carefully to what Laity says and then do the opposite! Best advice is to just jump in at the deep end and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Yep you even get a handicap to go with the Sussex special bus!

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Gareth,

Best, would be to do a shoot with an experienced shooter, who ideally is also a qualified instructor, there are quiet a few of us at MAD, and generally most clubs have a few.

Ideally you should set your gun up, with approximatly.

8-10 mag max.
    23-27 yard parallax.
    25yrd zero if you prefer NOT to hold over.
    35yrd zero if that is more in line with you hunting scenario.

Learn the ranges that certain sized targets can be set at.

Gun, from what you mentioned, Pro Sport.

HTH

PS DON'T what ever you do, ask Laity to show you, unless you have a rusty BSA.

Cheers chaps, will take note, and cheers for the rifle advise Steve, as was tempted to try the Evo, but can see why you'd recommend the P-S . It is currently zeroed at 35 yds, so would leave as is, me thinks.

Poor old Rog (Laity) has had a bit of a bashing above though you cruel lot. Have you no heart, it's his Birthday . Ha ha, and look forward to spectating over the weekend and arranging a tuition session for sometime soon after . Atb: G.