Thread: MK1 Airsporter Query

MK1 Airsporter Query

Morning fellow collectors,

Yesterday I took possesion of a pretty fine MK1 Airsporter serial GB13358.

I've been after one for quite some time and despite the etching being totally missing it appears so far to be in fantastic working order, shoots like a dream.

Unusually though, it is not in the usual 3 piece stock. All appearances indicate the stock is original, it even has the threaded hole in the trigger area for the stockbolt cover which is also present. I can't imagine somebody going to the effort of making a replacement to such accuracy. Also the age of the stock is in keeping as is the wood itself.

I personally have never seen a 1 piece stock, do any of you fellow MK1 fans have one the same? Can anyone shed any light in any way.

Got to decide now whether to leave it as is showing its age but functioing great or restore it. At least there's no etching to worry about if it were re-blued.

Thanks in advance

Russ

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I have a Mk. 1 G series with the original 3 piece walnut stock. I also have a Mk. 2 with the same although the scarfe joints on the Mk. 2's are further back slightly past the trigger if you get my drift.
    Its not to say you have "the wrong stock" as BSA fitted parts as and when they became available. When something ran out, they used something else. It may have been that they had a batch of one piece stocks and used these.

Regards,

"Black"

BSA apparently contracted out some of the manufacture of stocks for the Airsporter Mark I. These stocks were one piece and made in Italy at Sile Spa, Brescia. These stocks may be stamped SILE (source: Hiller, Collectors Guide to Air Rifles, 4th edition)
    In addition: Initially stocks were machined from one pice of walnut, but due to many breakages, was altered to 3 piece stock. This was referring to early club .177 models which went into production 2 months before the Airsporter .22 model. (source: Knibbs, The Golden Century)
    atb
    dogsbody

edbear2 Guest
    Hi ....I have one the same......If you ever dismantle it, you will find the stock is stamped in the recess for the trigger guard "sile"....piccy here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7607860743867/

This one is really smooth and powerful.....pushing 580fps in .22, with no obvious reason.......the spring looks to be normal size/length, and the cocking effort is no more than others I have fired....the tap seal is very good, and the piston is a very light sliding fit (it drops slowly down under its own weight,but still seals...maybe this explains it).......although there was a thread on here several months back by a member who has huge experience of these where he said that he has noticed over the years he has been collecting airsporters that some can be much better than others for no discernible reason

Airsporter MK1

Re the power of that one I would say that a loose fit of piston is the reason that this one is better than your others. Any airgun piston should slide down the cylinder under its own weight or with a very light push.

The spring only has so much energy to transfer and a tight fitting piston will sap more of this than a looser equally sealing piston.

Think of it like kicking a football, now think about kicking it through water.

I've not had chance to post for a couple of days so apologies for being late in thanking you all for the input.

Ed, have you refinished that one of yours, it looks absolutely mint.

Russ