Thread: Which CO2 Pistol?

Which CO2 Pistol?

I'm thinking of geting a CO2 pistol for some fun, and maybe even doing some of the UBC postals as I've moved house and am quite a way from my nearest rifle club, so the .22 target rifle shooting will become a little less frequent for the time being at least. I've got a long cowshed which would make a great 10m range.

Asking for advice as I don't know an awful lot about them, although I've shot an Umarex/Walther PPK which was great fun.

I like the looks of the CP88 and CP99. What's to choose between them? I think they both have single and double action triggers, and I'm led to believe you can add accesories and sights to both. I also understand the CP99 has a funky magazine type thing for the CO2 canister, so you can unload and make safe without wasting the remaining CO2. Does it work well or piss gas everywhere through the extra joints that I imagine must be required between "magazine" and gun. Does the CP88 have this system as well, or a more traditional arrangement?

And what are the alternatives?

Many thanks,
    Hemmers
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    There's a couple of recent threads about co2 repeaters which might give you some info:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374948

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379564

I tried 2 cp99's in a couple of shops. The first one seemed ok, but the trigger pull on the other was really hard and threw the gun off to the right.

Umarex S&W revolvers seem to be highly regarded, but a bit heavy on co2.

Colt or Beretta

I am fair new but my personal preference is for a Beretta or Colt. I find the CP88 a little on the small side but still nice to shoot. The Beretta is more "chunky" in the hand and the Colt is somewhere between for me. Not used a CP99 or the S&W so can't comment on them.

No the CP88 is the same CO2 system as the Colt/Beretta i.e. not like the CP99
    Last edited by hyperlink; 03-07-2009 at 05:28 PM.
    Rohm Twinmaster Trainer, Colt 1911 (Nickel), Beretta 92FS (Nickel), Beretta 92FS PPC1500, CP88 Comp (Nickel), CP88 PPC1500, RWS C225 (Nickel), Gamo Compact

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I am many others like tthe Umarex Smith 586/686 revolvers: full size and weight, solidly constructed, 10 shots, choice of blue or nickel finish, of 4, 6, or 8 inch barrels. They'll take red dot sights, and are very accurate.

Trigger takes some getting used to: rather stiff.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I go along with Jim, the S & W is a beaut'. After that I would rate the 6" CP88, nice trigger and balance.

Ideally you should try before you buy.

Good luck, Phil

Hi mate, Im in the same situ as you. I can't get to te local club so i have only pistols. Right Co2, by far the most accurate of the copies is the S & W. If your looking for accuracy which you may do, then even this wont really do. What i have done is got a real S & W 79G for accurate target shots, and also on the lookout for a multi shot for fun. What i found with the fun guns, is they are not enough for me, and needed something pretty near full power and very accurate hence the 79G.

I would recomened a good fast fire fun gun, and whatever grabs you in looks as they all make great can blasters, and also something a little special for when your in the 'see how good i can shoot mood'. As far as fun gun goes, take a look at the Anics blackbird. A little more powerful then the others and 28 shots.

Its just my veiws, hope it helps,

Rich.
    You tube channel bassmanrich44 2000 subscribers and counting! 5000 now

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanrich View Post
    What i have done is got a real S & W 79G for accurate target shots, and also on the lookout for a multi shot for fun. What i found with the fun guns, is they are not enough for me, and needed something pretty near full power and very accurate hence the 79G.

I would recomened a good fast fire fun gun, and whatever grabs you in looks as they all make great can blasters, and also something a little special for when your in the 'see how good i can shoot mood'.

Its just my veiws, hope it helps,

Rich.
    Great ideas, Rich! Get one for fast action fun, one for more serious target work. That way you have both situations covered.

Cheers!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Hemmers,

Not had my 88 long, but it's a nice bit of kit.

Had a go with the 99, bit too bulky for my little mitts, and the triggers not as nice imo. I'd go for the 6" 88 with comp sights.

Hi Jim
    Trigger still stiff mate, you want to watch out fella, it'll keep going off in your hand, just when you don't want it to.

atb
    Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

S&W 6" Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post

Hi Jim
    Trigger still stiff mate, you want to watch out fella, it'll keep going off in your hand, just when you don't want it to.

atb
    Russ

Jim

on a £100 - 120 budget i'd go for a CP88 in 6" variety or colt match 6"
    (they come up on here second hand)
    This would give a good capacity for both bulls eye and fast fire comps.

If you are a revolver dude the only option is the S&W in 6 or 8"

If you've got a buck the Zastava GP/Drulov or Aeron 5 shot or Rhomm.

The CP 99 rotary mag has the hardest trigger pull of all the umarex replica range.

Or get a walther ppk/s or cp99 compact blowback, and rebarrel with a bit of rifled barrel and shoot gamo round lead balls.
    Last edited by Ranyhyn; 04-07-2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: add

As others have said, I highly recommend the Umarex S&W 586 if you really want a CO2 pistol. However, for real plinking fun any of the old Webley pistols are my favourite choice and much cheaper to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    I'm thinking of geting a CO2 pistol for some fun, and maybe even doing some of the UBC postals as I've moved house and am quite a way from my nearest rifle club, so the .22 target rifle shooting will become a little less frequent for the time being at least. I've got a long cowshed which would make a great 10m range.

Asking for advice as I don't know an awful lot about them, although I've shot an Umarex/Walther PPK which was great fun.

I like the looks of the CP88 and CP99. What's to choose between them? I think they both have single and double action triggers, and I'm led to believe you can add accesories and sights to both. I also understand the CP99 has a funky magazine type thing for the CO2 canister, so you can unload and make safe without wasting the remaining CO2. Does it work well or piss gas everywhere through the extra joints that I imagine must be required between "magazine" and gun. Does the CP88 have this system as well, or a more traditional arrangement?

And what are the alternatives?

Many thanks,
    Hemmers
    Tough choice! Depends what power you are looking for and how much accuracy you want (and what you want to pay). The S&W is probably the most accurate multi shot (if you want the 8 inch barrel you'll have to get it secondhand, I've just ordered a 6 inch and my RFD tells me the 8 inch is no longer available new).

Multi shot power-wise, the Skif A3000 LB comes in at about 4.2ftlb and more with BB's, but most retailers have stopped selling them coz of reliabilty issues. Similar accuracy to S&W in single action mode but more like a shotgun pattern in rapid fire! If you can get a good secondhand one that doesn't jam you won't pick up a CP88 etc. again!

If you are looking for pinpoint accuracy then as far as CO2 is concerned it would have to be the Crosman EB22 (single shot 5.5ftlb). I've put pellet on pellet with mine at 8 yards and 0.5 inch groups at 10 yards.

Good luck with what ever you buy!