Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
I'm thinking of geting a CO2 pistol for some fun, and maybe even doing some of the UBC postals as I've moved house and am quite a way from my nearest rifle club, so the .22 target rifle shooting will become a little less frequent for the time being at least. I've got a long cowshed which would make a great 10m range.

Asking for advice as I don't know an awful lot about them, although I've shot an Umarex/Walther PPK which was great fun.

I like the looks of the CP88 and CP99. What's to choose between them? I think they both have single and double action triggers, and I'm led to believe you can add accesories and sights to both. I also understand the CP99 has a funky magazine type thing for the CO2 canister, so you can unload and make safe without wasting the remaining CO2. Does it work well or piss gas everywhere through the extra joints that I imagine must be required between "magazine" and gun. Does the CP88 have this system as well, or a more traditional arrangement?

And what are the alternatives?

Many thanks,
Hemmers
Tough choice! Depends what power you are looking for and how much accuracy you want (and what you want to pay). The S&W is probably the most accurate multi shot (if you want the 8 inch barrel you'll have to get it secondhand, I've just ordered a 6 inch and my RFD tells me the 8 inch is no longer available new).

Multi shot power-wise, the Skif A3000 LB comes in at about 4.2ftlb and more with BB's, but most retailers have stopped selling them coz of reliabilty issues. Similar accuracy to S&W in single action mode but more like a shotgun pattern in rapid fire! If you can get a good secondhand one that doesn't jam you won't pick up a CP88 etc. again!

If you are looking for pinpoint accuracy then as far as CO2 is concerned it would have to be the Crosman EB22 (single shot 5.5ftlb). I've put pellet on pellet with mine at 8 yards and 0.5 inch groups at 10 yards.

Good luck with what ever you buy!