Thread: Old Style .22?

Old Style .22?

Hi Chaps,
    I was thinking about buying a BSA Mercury because I used to have one as a teenager. Mine used to be .22 but now I would buy one in .177 if I could find one, the main reason is that its getting hard to find the old .22. The pellets I used to use where the old Eley in a blue tin.
    Has anyone retro fitted a modern .22 barrel to a mercury or even a .20 or .25? I have a few tins of Wolf Gold etc but I want a modern calibre...any suggestions?

Not really an answer to your question, but RWS Superdomes go well in old 0.22" barrels so don't let the lack of good 5,6 mm pellets put you off!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

I have got the most Immaculate Mercury in 0.177 totally unmarked.

Maybe you could tempt me with a swap for summat old

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    Hi Chaps,
    I was thinking about buying a BSA Mercury because I used to have one as a teenager. Mine used to be .22 but now I would buy one in .177 if I could find one, the main reason is that its getting hard to find the old .22. The pellets I used to use where the old Eley in a blue tin.
    Has anyone retro fitted a modern .22 barrel to a mercury or even a .20 or .25? I have a few tins of Wolf Gold etc but I want a modern calibre...any suggestions?
    the bsa lightning barrel is a straight swap with the one on the mercury even my 177 mercury is"nt the tightest barrel but still knocking bunny"s over most weeks
    S400 Carbine

Remarkable guns, I have an old meteor whos finish is better than most modern rifles. I may try and get a .177 mercury.

i have a mk3 mercury in 177 fitted with a bonnie and clyde kit ptfe head and a tapered breech port it shoots supererb and i still use it to shoot rabbits most weeks my son always bags the s400 it is every bit as accurate as most modern guns and pokey enough to knock over bunnys out to 35 yrds also very well balanced an all round very underated usable gun
    S400 Carbine