Thread: Something alittle different

Something alittle different

I'm a very recent enrollee to the BP fraternity, still shooting my club's Remington Army till I get around to applying for a FAC.
    My options for a purchase seem to be very American based though, much as I like the Remy's, Colt's & R&S's, what if I fancied an English pistol, like a Dean Adams without paying thousands for an antique?
    TX200/Nikko Stirling MKII 10-50
    TX200/Hawke 4-16 MAP Pro
    MILLRIDE FTC

After a couple of evenings worth of light research on the PC, I've decided that a Repro Beaumont Adams DA would be perfect for me.
    Unfortunately, they don't appear to exist!
    TX200/Hawke 4-16 MAP Pro
    MILLRIDE FTC

Haddington...via Mackemland, born in Yorkshire
    Have a look at the Henry Krank repro section in his catalogue or on the website. Dixie Gun Workjs in the USA are good too for an idea of who makes what.

I started with a repro Remington 1858, .44

Now using a repro Colt 1861 Navy, .36 = a MUCH better gun

The funny thing is, after I got the little Colt, the blokes who win all the comps said, "Oh, thats what we use!"

Mmm...thought I
    .22 BRNO Mod 2 & 511, .22 SGC V-22, .223 (Armalon), .30-06 M1903A4 & Win 70, .36 Colt Navy 1861, .45 Win 94, .455 New Service. 410 Webley b/a, 12ga: Ithaca 37DSPS & FN A5 & Rem 870 & Win 1897, 10ga "Greylag"

greenshoots Guest
    look at the pietta starr revolver......

viv

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    Have a look at the Henry Krank repro section in his catalogue or on the website. Dixie Gun Workjs in the USA are good too for an idea of who makes what.

I started with a repro Remington 1858, .44

Now using a repro Colt 1861 Navy, .36 = a MUCH better gun

The funny thing is, after I got the little Colt, the blokes who win all the comps said, "Oh, thats what we use!"

Mmm...thought I

I always thought the Remington was the gun to beat in comps.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Cheers lads, I've coincidentally just sent for the Henry Krank catalogue.
    I've tried one or two Colts but found them a little small for my hands & I have been warned that a lack of a top strap will make them an inferior choice.
    The Clubs gun is a Remington which is fine but my clubmates R&S is as accurate as an accurate thing! I did fancy something a little different however & the Beaumont Adams, if it had been available, would have fitted the bill.
    Why is it that the repro scene is dominated so totally by the 'Wild West' when the boys in the scarlett tunics were batting for England all over the place at the same time? You'd think there'd be a market for something like that surely!
    TX200/Hawke 4-16 MAP Pro
    MILLRIDE FTC

Give Kranks a ring, I saw a couple of uncased English percussion revolversin there for about £450 ish a couple of months ago.
    I'm suprised Uberti et al don't do them, after all there were plenty of them about in the west, didn't Custer have a couple of Webleys?
    Lee Loo Dallas multipass, MUL-TI-PASS!

My little bit of research turned up that Hickok is supposed to have had a BA, over a thousand were shipped over to the Confederacy during their little piece of unpleasantness & BA's were manufactured under licence in the U.S.
    TX200/Hawke 4-16 MAP Pro
    MILLRIDE FTC

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Yes, it's nonsense to think that Colts and Remingtons were the only revolvers of the era, or the only ones of the West. People are learning differently, and it is starting to influence the choice of guns of Cowboy Action shooters, and collectors.

I think, though, that the market is always going to be dominated by what US shooters want. That's simply because most people are more interested in their own country's history, and because there ARE so many American shooters and collectors.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

By pure serendipidy, a proofed Deane Harding 54 bore, in it's case with tools has come up at my Club for a reduced figure due to the renovation job it's had on it, it's tantalising but alittle out of reach at the moment!
    Would any of you shoot an original piece? I must say I hadn't considered it, I thought repro was the way for cost & safety but now.
    Last edited by Baltipal; 18-07-2009 at 10:57 PM.
    TX200/Hawke 4-16 MAP Pro
    MILLRIDE FTC

Dont shoot originals myself unless you count the Ruger old army but a couple of the guys at our local club do. I believe the muzzle loaders do comps purely for them and they certainly are nice to use when i manage to blag a go with one. Bit too much money for my pocket though. Tim