Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone collect cartridge conversions?

Nah not really Jim, I'm a lifelong engineer and can appreciate technical and chemical ingenuity. Such as Forsyths experiments with fulminates to create the flash, through roll primers and the tipping flask to fill the flash pan. Things moved at a fast pace and just about stopped with the first cartridges. There has been refinements but little real innovation.

Some stuff just defies logic, like how the hell did they come up with the crazy idea of pin-fire. It's kinda like inventing a wheel with flats on so it dont roll away.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Nah not really Jim, I'm a lifelong engineer and can appreciate technical and chemical ingenuity. Such as Forsyths experiments with fulminates to create the flash, through roll primers and the tipping flask to fill the flash pan. Things moved at a fast pace and just about stopped with the first cartridges. There has been refinements but little real innovation.

Some stuff just defies logic, like how the hell did they come up with the crazy idea of pin-fire. It's kinda like inventing a wheel with flats on so it dont roll away.
    Yes, it IS strange that there's been so little innovation in firearms technology since the introduction of cartridges in the 1870's and of smokeless powder in the 1880's. I suppose we could say that's a tribute to how well what we have now works.

Pinfires ARE an odd sort of contraption, aren't they? and to think they predate modern-style cartridges by decades, yet never replaced percussion. I own a little 8mm pinfire revolver: often wonder what stories it could tell.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Over here pinfires are obsoletes and can be held off ticket as sec 7.1 but Henry Kranks sells new cases for home loading. If we have the cases loaded then the gun has to be locked away at one of the sec 7.3 ranges.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Over here pinfires are obsoletes and can be held off ticket as sec 7.1 but Henry Kranks sells new cases for home loading. If we have the cases loaded then the gun has to be locked away at one of the sec 7.3 ranges.
    S7.1 is "Heritage Pistols" as part of a collection or curio and held on ticket. Pinfires are S58, requiring no licence.

I stand corrected.

It's late in the day and grandad just took his medication. Specially imported from a strange land to the north where the men wear skirts.