Thread: Anyone collect cartridge conversions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Anyone collect cartridge conversions?

Meaning, percussion revolvers converted to cartridge?

I was reading in a collector's guide that these sell for a steep discount as compared with the unconverted percussion pieces.

Which SHOULD eventually increase collectors' interest: given the high prices asked for percussions.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim most cartridge conversions fall foul if our batty laws
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

But not those chambered for obsolete caliber cartridges?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Probably most of them too Jim.

Gun may be old but can you prove the date of the conversion?

We could not for instance have a firearm made for an obsolete cartridge today, age comes into it as well.

If the history of the piece was ok then it could be owned but not ammo. (sec 7.1).

If you wanted to fire it then it would have to be permanently stored at a range that is licenced for sec 7.3, I think there are 3 in the UK and storage fees are very high.

I don't think .45 short/long Colt is on the obsolete list which is what most conversions seem to be.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Yes, I guess .45 Colt was probably the biggest conversion caliber, and it's still in common commercial production.

It does seem crazy that if the pistol is old, and the caliber is obsolete, you'd still be required to prove that the conversion from percussion to that cartridge caliber was also old!

Our federal laws here make more sense. Basically, if the receiver of the gun was made before January 1, 1899, it's an uncontrolled antique: the exceptions being if it's fully automatic, or if it falls short of the minimum length laws (16 inch barrel for a rifle, 18 inches for a shotgun, 26 inches overall for either).

Then there's the "curios and relics" category, for later-made guns in obsolete calibers, or which are otherwise deemed not likely to be criminally misused. These ARE controlled, just like any modern gun, but you can get a collector's license which allows you to circumvent the normal paperwork process.

Jim

We can actually have a 1911 in 45 Jim.

But it has to be a bit special, such as the one John Wayne used in "the Longest Day" or a special comemorative issue. As part of a collection even modern produced are allowed, I know someone with a comprehensive collection of the AMT range.

Pity we have not adopted the EU categories as we are part of the European Union. Percussion fire arms or modern repoductions are exempt.

LBR and LBP would be recognised as what they are, long arms, and not in their own trumped up category.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane