Thread: customs and excise

customs and excise

hi all

ive just bought a walther anatomic from germany as it was 700pounds cheaper!! however since im buying from overseas seas i was wondering if there was any customs and excises charges to pay? does anyone know what i can expect to pay if anything?

thanks alot

Depends. I managed to import £2200 worth of Anschutz 1913 Supermatch in without problems (paid £1800 for it from a lovely German dealer. Result!).

On the other hand, many have been sent bills from HMRC. There are particular problems with airguns as they mistake them for airsoft guns - i.e. RIFs. You have to patiently explain that it's a real firearm and not an imitation firearm, and therefore legal, and whilst they're busy impounding it, they figure they might sting you for tax at the same time.

If the paperwork is in order (i.e. export permits from Germany, etc) and it is clearly addressed to an RFD, it should sail through.

If they do ask for money, I guess it will be VAT (since that is what you are avoiding by importing stuff), so 15% on the value.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

You will have paid VAT on the goods in Germany (another EU country) so no extra VAT to pay. Don't think there is import duty to pat on guns anyway. otherwise there would not be (or at least have been) a big trade in personal imports from the continent to get the lowest VAT rates.

Al

cheers guys this is a big help

Vat

As long as it is from the EU and you have paid VAT in the origin country you are not liable to pay VAT here. If you claim the VAT back at export then you have to pay here.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew87 View Post
    hi all

ive just bought a walther anatomic from germany as it was 700pounds cheaper!! however since im buying from overseas seas i was wondering if there was any customs and excises charges to pay? does anyone know what i can expect to pay if anything?

thanks alot
    Nice, i've got one myself

No VAT or duty to pay but ensure that you have your German dealer receipt with you.

Anything bought within EU (except from bonded warehouses) should be "in free circulation" i.e. can cross EU borders without payment but if you can't prove origin, you can't establish its duty paid status

I bought my Alfa pistol from the Czech Republic. No VAT or duty as they are part of the EU.

It arrived by Parcelforce as an ordinary parcel, no hold-up at customs, no extra paperwork, nothing at all. Totally seamless as they say nowadays.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

edbear2 Guest
    Ditto......I recently bought an older, collectable, Haenel bolt action 4.4mm air rifle.....arrived at my door in 5 days, just as any other parcel, unopened and un-tampered with.......Which when I saw the package, surprised me somewhat.......The german gun shop had used a sako .308 rifle box.....and the calibre and picture of the sako rifle were plastered all over the box

Customs and excise

This falls under the free movement of goods and services. If you have purchased it within the eu there can be no taxes or import duties imposed

Quote Originally Posted by goodboyladdie View Post
    As long as it is from the EU and you have paid VAT in the origin country you are not liable to pay VAT here. If you claim the VAT back at export then you have to pay here.
    claim it back,vat in germany is 19.5%
    rgds scirroco