Thread: Hammerli 420?

Hammerli 420?

Hi, reading an advert about the Hammerli 420 today, its always been a rifle that I used to dream of owning as a youngster but have never even seen. Did anyone on here ever buy one new? I had a new Jackal which was similar so some of us did actually buy this sort of stuff in the early 1980s.
    The advert was a Norman May I believe.
    Also as god loves a tryer if anyone has one would you like to swap for a westlake, not working or complete...

Hi Ulverston, i too wanted one of these rifles in 1980 ,s i can remember asking local gun shop to order one for me. He came back to me after several weeks of trying and giving up!, this was probably just before Norman May went under. I now have a nice model 2 bought of this forum(thanks slug gun) just got it back from Gerry from South Africa at my club, he raves over it and i agree one of the best rifles in my collection. If you cant find a 420 try a400/401 or like me a model 2. Its recoil is so lite its almost like shooting a match rifle !. Ok its not powerful but i thought actually hitting a target is morre important than denting it!. atb

Hi,
    I think it was the military styling that was the attraction for me, maybe they are plentiful on the continent?

i beleve it lossly followed the style of the Swiss service rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    Hi,
    I think it was the military styling that was the attraction for me, maybe they are plentiful on the continent?
    No, unfortunately it is here also very rare. In Germany I only 1 complete and 1 with missing barrelcover speciman. The manufacturer does not know anything about it; I assume that only a low number were made.

Regards, Dr.K.
    Wanted: SA Jackal AR7 Hunter or AA Combat - "Flash Hider" of AR7 Hunter/Combat
    Wanted: SA/AA/Phoenix Firepower in AK-style "JK47"