Thread: sharps ace information

sharps ace information

hi,thinking about buying one of these in the future,do they have any weak points ,is there any plastic used in their construction,are spares hard to find,what can i expect to pay for shall we say a.22 or a.177 [do they come in .20?]in tidy condition,i know thats a lot of questions but you chaps are a mine of information .any info on these guns would be much appreciated,thanks..greasemonkey

Hi Monkey,

Few plastic parts used in the Ace...better built than the Innova.4/5 pumps for full power..£150-£225 price range.No .20 that I know of..?Spares are few & far between...but some parts available..depends what you want...ATB,Chris.

Haddington...via Mackemland, born in Yorkshire
    Just my 2p worth

I was in Indonesia a couple of years ago

The locally made airguns were ALL (in Malang anyway) copies of the Sharp Ace & Innova

From what I could gather, some parts were imported from Japan, others were totally Indonesian made.
    The most "expensive" were totally made from imported Japanese bits - couldn´t tell you what the power output would be - but I´d bet well over 12ft/lb (as is common in more civilised countries)

The local ones were very passable too - these were about $30. The imported ones then were about $50 to $60

BUT - due to ridiculous gun laws there it would have been illegal to export them or I´d have fetched a couple or 3 back with me
    .22 BRNO Mod 2 & 511, .22 SGC V-22, .223 (Armalon), .30-06 M1903A4 & Win 70, .36 Colt Navy 1861, .45 Win 94, .455 New Service. 410 Webley b/a, 12ga: Ithaca 37DSPS & FN A5 & Rem 870 & Win 1897, 10ga "Greylag"

Ace

The barrel to pump tube screws can loosen and wreck the pump assy.
    They should blow off at 5-7 pumps.
    The valve should seal first pump after firing..no farting.
    Keep 1 pump in it...do not over oil..many Sharps have been killed this way.
    They should hold pressure indefinetly.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

I had a .22 ace years ago, a very underated gun. Very accurate.

Only problem like has already been said is barrel to cylinder screws need loctited in.

Tony from SFS also had one and his had the breech modified so the flimsey metal breech surround could be discarded. Bolt locked directly into barrel if i remember correctly.

Due to blow off valve, trigger got harder, the more pumps you put in.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi,thinking about buying one of these in the future,do they have any weak points ,is there any plastic used in their construction,are spares hard to find,what can i expect to pay for shall we say a.22 or a.177 [do they come in .20?]in tidy condition,i know thats a lot of questions but you chaps are a mine of information .any info on these guns would be much appreciated,thanks..greasemonkey
    Yes they do have weak points. as already stated the three small retaining screws at the front end of the pump cylinder need securing with Loctite or similar, as does the rear retaining bolt, these can work loose through the vibration of the pumping action.

The only plastic on the action is the front cap fitted to the pump cylinder.

Standard rifles only come in .177 & .22, but like the Innova's a third party .20 custom might rear it's head from time to time.

The value of both Innova's and Ace's seems to have taken a slight dip over the past couple of years or so, look to pay around £150 or so for a tidy example in good working order, maybe around £200 for a mint model.

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Hi Monkey,

Few plastic parts used in the Ace...better built than the Innova.4/5 pumps for full power..£150-£225 price range.No .20 that I know of..?Spares are few & far between...but some parts available..depends what you want...ATB,Chris.
    Don't forget that the 'Engine room' is the same as the Innova Chris! so some spares are still available at Chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldyman View Post
    Keep 1 pump in it...do not over oil..many Sharps have been killed this way.
    They should hold pressure indefinetly.
    Good advice. But try to avoid oiling, moly grease all pivot points instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dave blakemore View Post
    I had a .22 ace years ago, a very underated gun. Very accurate.

Due to blow off valve, trigger got harder, the more pumps you put in.

Dave.
    The reason the trigger got harder was solely down to the pressure in the air chamber Dave, the more pumps you put in, the harder is was to release the trigger.
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

thanks gentlemen for the sharing of your knowledge with me ,i really want one of these now.i will be on the lookout for one in the sales section.thanks again..greasemonkey